"dummy" overflow gismo in tub

Users who are viewing this thread

valelrie923

Reaction score
I live in a 6 year old townhome condominium community so fixtures are new. The overflow drain in the tub in my guest bedroom does not function. It is there with an opening under the round metal gadget but water does not go in, down or out of the tub when filled to the brim. I have tried and so did another resident.

Is it possible that this is a "dummy" and only looks proper for inspection and passing code regulations? Or is this overflow not required?

Thank you

Valerie

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Tke the "round metal gadget" off and LOOK at it. Do not be like the Greek philosophers who debated for weeks about how many teeth a horse has, until someone actually opened a horse's mouth and counted them. WE can debate ad infinitum about what you COULD have and NEVER get the right answer until we actually see it.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Tke the "round metal gadget" off and LOOK at it. Do not be like the Greek philosophers who debated for weeks about how many teeth a horse has, until someone actually opened a horse's mouth and counted them. WE can debate ad infinitum about what you COULD have and NEVER get the right answer until we actually see it.

And so the obvious answer was there all the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks