Automatic Air Vent Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

invisible-man

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need to replace the automatic air vent valves in my domestic hydronic heating system and was going to use the Watts FV-4M1 valves.....I noticed that there are 1/8" and 1/4" sizes, does this relate to the thread size, as I do not know which ones to order.....is there a common size in a domestic system?

Many thanks, Martin

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
1/8 is the most common that I have worked with but there are other factors as in is it metric or iron pipe size,and is it base board or iron radiators.

Attachments

• coin air valve.jpg
    coin air valve.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:

invisible-man

Reaction score
1/8 is the most common that I have worked with but there are other factors as in is it metric or iron pipe size,and is it base board or iron radiators.

It is my home in Michigan US and has baseboard heating with a WEIL McLEIN Gold series 4 boiler......

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It is my home in Michigan US and has baseboard heating with a WEIL McLEIN Gold series 4 boiler......

Without being able to see it from here, it would be easier to say which size you have if you can measure the actual diameter of the threaded part of the air bleeder. What you actually measure is not what the iron pipe size is called, but it will give us an idea of which one it is, if it an American thread. for instance, the 1/8 pipe size actually measures out at "3/8" inch, and the 1/4 inch pipe measuures just about "1/2" inch in outside diameters. (Not measured with a caliper, but a tape measure or steel rule).

invisible-man

Reaction score
Without being able to see it from here, it would be easier to say which size you have if you can measure the actual diameter of the threaded part of the air bleeder. What you actually measure is not what the iron pipe size is called, but it will give us an idea of which one it is, if it an American thread. for instance, the 1/8 pipe size actually measures out at "3/8" inch, and the 1/4 inch pipe measuures just about "1/2" inch in outside diameters. (Not measured with a caliper, but a tape measure or steel rule).

Thanks

Problem is that I am in the UK so cannot measure, and wanted to order parts before arriving in the US.....perhaps I can ask a neighbor to measure the outside diameter of the existing ones!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks