Diverter spout leaks when water is off

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your valve is leaking...now, it is possible to get a few drips after use for awhile, but that should stop fairly quickly.

dakota

Reaction score
Yes I figure that, but it seems weird that it's not a continuous leak. Do I need to get a new cartridge for a new faucet that I have yet to use? I would like to know if this is a common problem with these fixtures? This really irritates me.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Leaks can be caused by failing to flush the lines before inserting the cartridge (which can trap stuff under the seals and scratch things), overheating things if you soldered it, a bad cartridge, or scores or scratches in the valve body. It's also possible to get a porous casting, but not too common. Call Moen and talk to their tech support - they'll advise and send you the part(s) you'd need to resolve the problem.

dakota

Reaction score
Thanks!!

There was no soldering as the faucet only takes threaded fitting. I'll contact Moen and see what they say.

SteveMar

Reaction score
I have a related post that I put up recently regarding this Posi-Temp cartridge (MOEN 1222B). I had a bathroom remodel in March 2011, and I am about to install the 4th Posi-Temp cartridge since then, all because the tub spout leaks after the water is off. While what Jim says above is true (and he replied to my posted thread as well), I am starting to believe that the 1222 is not that great. It is true that Moen will send you a new cartridge (they've done this for me a few times), but this past go around they told me they had a redesigned cartridge. This does not appear to be true--the one they sent is a 1222, and it came without any identifying part number, and no plumber's grease. You will want to get some silicone based plumbers grease before you install the cartridge. And good luck--I know how frustrating this is--my first cartridge was leaking even before the bathroom remodel was done.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A cartridge leak will NOT stop by itself. You do NOT need to "use the shower" for some water to get into its riser pipe, it will just NOT be enough to dribble out of the shower head.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Well, to be more correct...the spout isn't leaking - it is essentially an open pipe; the valve is leaking and it just happens to be coming out of the spout. Now, why the valve is leaking is the big issue. It could be the valve body has a defect, or the cartridge is bad, or not installed properly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
After a shower is used, it takes 35-40 minutes to finally stop dripping.
If the shower has "never" been turned on, then there should be no dripping. But once you use the shower again, the clock restarts.

dakota

Reaction score
I did contact Moen, they sent me a new cartridge. I replaced the factory installed cartridge with the new replacement. No more leaks, the original one was defective.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks