Big basement bathroom project

Users who are viewing this thread

Fiasco

Reaction score
here is a pic of what I mean, not to scale of course. The total length of the run for the tub to the sewer line wye is less then 60"

Do those wye's have to be some mimimun distance down the line from the toilet?

Attachments

• test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,268

Fiasco

Reaction score
Or, if the one above doesn't pass muster

Attachments

• test4.jpg
    test4.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,238
Last edited:

Fiasco

Reaction score
Worlds slowest remodeller.. I work in spurts.

Spending alot of money to go out to Arizona and watch the Cardinals kick but this year so $$$ has been limited.

I decided to skp a tub and put in a two head shower using kerdi and ceramic. I laid the floor yesterday and first row of the shower. Will finish tiling the shower tomorrow.

Attachments

• Dscf0572.jpg
    Dscf0572.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 969
  • DSCF0763.JPG
    DSCF0763.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 940
  • DSCF0768.JPG
    DSCF0768.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 916
  • DSCF0762.JPG
    DSCF0762.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 911

Fiasco

Reaction score
First row set and level. Will lay the rest (except the floor and bottom row) tomorrow.

Tile is American Olean Villano series.

Floor dark chocolate (vl04)
Bottom 6 rows chocolate (VL03)
Upper diagonal pattern macadamia (VL01) W/ sporadic placement of 3-5 chocolate tile per wall.
Tile surrounded by 3" chocolate bullnose (VL03)

Floor is heated by "Warm Tiles" cable heat placed in a 1/4" mortarbed under the normal tile floor installation.

Making my own top for the vanity w/ VLO1 macademia

Now have to get a scratch together to buy the cabinetry.

Attachments

• DSCF0769.JPG
    DSCF0769.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,156
Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
10 questions

looks good. A big shower is a good thing to have. :D

may i ask,
-what did you put the heat cables down onto? Directly onto the basement slab?
-is that a floor drain i see outside the shower?
-how are your Kerdi seams joined?
-what did you build the curb with?

david :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It looks like he just overlapped the kerdi rather than using the kerdi-band. Either is acceptable.

Fiasco

Reaction score
There was definately not enough kerdi band to do the central seam in the shower. Kerdi band and corners were used in the corners.

The heated floor wire is laid in a solid mortar bed just over 1/4" thick. Then the tile was laid over the top of additional mortar applied notched trowel. I used the "alternate" wiring pattern for use on cement boards. (2 close space 2 close space 2 close space ect)

Floor is grouted and the bottom tile pattern is in. Waiting on my 2 x 2 tiles for the floor and trim line between the color/tile patterns to continue. (saturday i hope)

Attachments

• Dscf0770.jpg
    Dscf0770.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,055

Fiasco

Reaction score
shower tile

Attachments

• Dscf0772.jpg
    Dscf0772.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,222
Last edited:

Fiasco

Reaction score
It's been awhile.

Heres where it's at.

The grout is not white, that's a product of the flash. The grout is keracolor biscuit and is just slightly lighter shade then the macademia tiles in the upper half of the shower.

The counter over the washer dryer is the leftover chocolate tile w/ oak trim.

The tiolet is a kohler in "Mexican Sand" color.

There will be a 36" four drawer oak vanity and a drop in sink the same color as the toilet. The vanity top will be the same construction as the counter over the washer/dryer except I will use the left over macadamia.

There will be two double door 27"w x 30"h cabinets and a 30"h x 6"w rounded end display shelf over the top of the washer/dryer

Its all done except for the cabinetry.

I'm pretty eager to tackle woodmaking. I have been gradually building my tools up to tackle the cabinets. I just need a jointer now

I m getting ready to purchase some rough cut lumber (save some $) and try my hand at bathroom cabinets.

I'm real happy with how it has turned out and the heated floor under your feet is awesome.

Attachments

• Dscf1222.jpg
    Dscf1222.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,013
Last edited:

Fiasco

Reaction score
another picture

Attachments

• Dscf1223.jpg
    Dscf1223.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 966

Fiasco

Reaction score
A lonely toilet looking for a 36" oak vanity to keep it company.

Attachments

• Dscf1225.jpg
    Dscf1225.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 910

Fiasco

Reaction score
Two 27"w x 30"h cabinets and end display shelf over the top of the washer/dryer.

Attachments

• Dscf1226.jpg
    Dscf1226.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 878

Fiasco

Reaction score
Nice roomy closet is a boost to our meager storage space and keeps the fuse panel and water main out of site.

Attachments

• Dscf1228.jpg
    Dscf1228.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 896

asuwish

Reaction score
That's a beautiful bathroom. Nice colour choices. Congrats.

Don't you love your warm tile floor?

I like the ceiling fixture by the washer/dryer. What's the brand name and where did you purchase it?

Fiasco

Reaction score
Not sure of the brand but I got it at Lowes. It is open through to the flood bulb. There is a ring of metal about 1 1/2" below the ceiling w/ a ribbon of "marbled" plastic difusing the light between the ring and the ceiling.

Fiasco

Reaction score
and yes love that warm floor. The rest of the basement is getting the carpet taken out and heated ceramic put in.

Bigbobdallas

Reaction score
Totally Awesome

Showed my wifey tonight she loves all the bath Can I ask you the exact size. Can you email me this also in case I loose this info if you have the time, Thanks cant wait to see the final pics be sure and let us all see them.
Bigbobdallas@yahoo.com

Fiasco

Reaction score
fiasco said:
Worlds slowest remodeller.. I work in spurts.

Spending alot of money to go out to Arizona and watch the Cardinals kick but this year so $$$ has been limited.

I decided to skp a tub and put in a two head shower using kerdi and ceramic. I laid the floor yesterday and first row of the shower. Will finish tiling the shower tomorrow.

I'd like to point out the folly of the second paragraph.... Money well spent.... grrrr.

Fiasco

Reaction score
When sealing the grout do you just sponge the stuff on? Do I need to keep it off the tiles or clean it off shortly thereafter or is it ok to let it dry on the tiles?

started on the wall cabinets for over the washer and dryer.

Attachments

• Dscf1229.jpg
    Dscf1229.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks