Can't get joint hot enough

Users who are viewing this thread

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Hi,

My last fitting on this job of mine is connecting the supply, so lots of copper.

The joint is all 3/4" and there is a ball valve about 8 or 9 inches away. I've tried to drain all the water out of the pipes and have really been pouring the heat to this damn thing, but can't the solder to melt and draw in!

Was going to try a different fuel ( using propane) but wasn't sure if thats the problem or not. Other problem the joint is close to joist and am burning them!

thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is still some moisture in there. It doesn't have to a lot and it doesn't have to be really close to the joint. Heated copper will turn that moisture to steam and you're screwed. You've got to get the water all out.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There is still some moisture in there...
That'd be my guess too. Usually you can hear it crackle. I've had to use compressed air before to get all the water out. Never did try the bread trick.

To save burning the wood, there is a flame resistant cloth that can be used or simply bend and trim a piece of tin to fit.

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
yep, you guys are right..there was some water left...after getting it all out and dry as I could, it seemed to solder just fine.

However, I can't pressurize it yet as now I'm stuck on the faucet trim...ill post that in another thread, thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; after getting it all out and dry as I could, it seemed to solder just fine.

Now all you have to worry about is whether the "steam" contaminated the joint so the solder did not flow in properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks