Water well head leaking...help ASAP please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jed1154

Reaction score
I have a well that I use exclusively for watering my property. It just started leaking at the top as far as I can tell. This started today. I have attached photos of where it is leaking. Its leaking right at that separation of the iron cap with the nuts...or between it and the PVC pipe. Is this a leak I can fix myself or do I need to have someone fix it? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on it really.

I also don't want to take something apart and have it fall down the well.

IMG_0484.jpg

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I don't see a big problem except it looks as though you have an artesiaan well. You can remove the blue plastic pipe plug and divert the flow to prevent water from entering what looks like the electrical control box. Otherwise I suggest leaving the well seal alone because you could cause more serious problems like a part of the seal dropping into the well or cracking the PVC well casing.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't know what part of texas you're in but I seriously doubt that the well is artesian. I would think that the psv (safety valve) is leaking or the pipe going into the well head top Tee is leaking. The latter would be bad and not that easy to fix, the psv leaking would be an easy fix.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I kind of agree with Texas Wellman, I don't know of any artesian wells in Texas but that doesn't mean that there isn't! There is a possibility that where the pipe screws into the tee below the relief valve is leaking. If this is the case and you are only using it for watering the yard I wouldn't be concerned unless it gets worse. Fixing it would requiring disconnecting the fittings goung to the tank, removing the relief valve and installing a lifting tool where the relief valve is, then loosning the well seal bolts and carefully lifting the drop pipe to repair the leak. Should only be done by an experienced and licensed well or pump contractor.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm guessing that it's leaking at threads as others mentioned. My concern is why. If it rusted away enough to start leaking, it will only get worse and depending on how much weight is hanging from a bit of rusted thread, the pump and however many feet of pipe could fall down the well. The longer you put it off, the greater may be the risk.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
with that check valve up top, pay close attention when the pump is running to determine if that leak is from the relief or inside the well seal.

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually Porky I have heard of a few artesians, but they usually quit flowing shortly after being developed. Some wells around here have like a 6 ft water level though, but not flowing artesian.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks