Rough Cost Estimate: Basement Wet Bar and Bathroom Work

Users who are viewing this thread

Bucky

Reaction score
Gutted my basement (Minneapolis/St. Paul) and now in the process of building it out. Definitely building a bar, but not sure if I'll recoup enough money on adding a sink to make it worth while. Upstairs bathroom is overhead so supply lines (galvanized) are right there along with the drain line. Hard to say what the easiest route would be to tie in the venting. I'm told ventless pumps don't pass around here (Minneapolis/St. Paul) so busting up the floor seems to be the only option to drain the sink.

Picture 001.jpg

Across the way is this lovely unvented bathroom. (I've got a one story and there's a closet above so running a new vent up through the roof would be relatively easy). The goal would be to make it a legal bathroom or in other words start over from scratch. I can do the drywall and carpentry and really just need the plumbing expertise to tie everything together so it is code compliant.

Picture 004.jpgPicture 007.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bucky, I think you will find that the pros on this forum will very reluctant to even venture a rough guess. Local labor costs and unforeseen difficulties and problems make this virtually impossible. It's somewhat like saying my car has a noise in the engine, what will it cost to fix it. Best bet is to get local contractors to give estimates.

Bucky

Reaction score
I've got the PM at a local company drawing up an estimate. I know there's variations nationally that would result in an apples to oranges comparison, but figured someone on here has probably done similar projects and could offer a ballpark, +/- a few thousands dollars. It's not like I'm going to take what someone says on here back to the PM. Mostly just concerned about the wet bar at this juncture.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; really just need the plumbing expertise to tie everything together so it is code compliant.

The place to get that is from a LOCAL plumber, NOT a "PM" at a lumber yard.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; don't call the guy that installed the slanted basin with the S trap

Picky, picky. He did tell the homeowner it was NOT vented, and he did use a drainage 90, instead of a galvanized one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks