Moen Posi-Temp 1222B Shower Cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveMar

Reaction score
In March 2011, we had our bathroom remodeled, and our new Moen shower fixture takes the 1222B cartridge. I know this because it leaked and I replaced it twice in the first month. I thought the third try would work out, but after four months the cartridge has again begun leaking and the tub spout is again dripping. I am sort of disgusted with this product, and am tired of replacing this over and over. I am using Moen parts, not aftermarket. My questions are--have others run into this sort of performance problem, and is there a better replacement product available than the 1222B? Thanks!

moen1222.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's possible that there is a scratch in the body, and no cartridge is going to last long. Have you talked to Moen? In most cases, they'll send you a free cartridge.

posi-stem-stop-2.jpg

moen-1222hd-1.jpg

1222HD brass cartridge is an option too.

index.php

Moen 1222 in the year 2021

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveMar

Reaction score
Jim

Moen has sent me a couple free cartridges, and will probably send me another one in this instance. Free cartridge aside, it seems like a cartridge should be able to function correctly for more than 1-4 months.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As mentioned, if there is a scratch in the body of the valve that the cartridge fits into, that can abraid the seals and they won't last long. The only fix on that is to replace the body and the cartridge. Make sure that if there isn't any silicon plumber's grease on the cartridge, you put some on before inserting the new one. This will make it both easier to insert and help it last a little longer.

moen-1222-in-pieces.jpg

BrunoB

Reaction score
All, this forum is great. I had a leak in my shower and bought a non-Moen 1222 cartridge. When I installed it, it leaked terribly in the off position. Worse than the original leak. I read this forum and many posters said it was the cartridge and I should get the Moen. Went to HD today and replaced the online one with the Moen, no more leak! When I looked hard at the online one, there was no rear o-ring in the back end of the valve. I sent it back and told them it was defective.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks