Pebble shower floor

Users who are viewing this thread

sanddab

Reaction score
We are redoing our shower and are planning tile walls and a pebble-grout floor. Folks at the tile shop warned that the pebble floors were very prone to mildew. Any experience or ideas regarding this problem?
Thanks Jim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A couple of things: with tile, the recommended slope is 1/4" per foot, but with a pebble floor, you probably want to nearly double that to account for the potential high spots...you really want it to drain. Then, because there is a lot of grout, you might want to consider using a surface waterproofing membrane, either a fabric or paint on the setting bed to limit how far moisture can penetrate. It would be expensive, but you might consider using an epoxy grout, which is pretty much impervious, won't absorb moisture, and therefore doesn't support moisture. You might want to check out www.johnbridge.com for some thoughts as well.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ANY surface that can "trap" water will be prone to mildew, and I doubt that you will be able to construct the floor and NOT have low, or dammed up, points

L

louistoth

Recently I renovate my bathroom and use river rock tiles for creating a pebble floor but I realize that the floor not cleaned out properly. Can anyone suggest me what should I do?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks