Closet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Viking

Reaction score
I set a closet flange yesterday that is sitting proud of the finish floor by about a quarter inch. I am assuming that the extension from the bend was a little to high (I thought I cut it flush, but must have missed something). Will I need to cut it out, or do most toilets have enough room to accommodate? Thanks for the reply.

Viking

Reaction score
Not the top of the flange. That will always sit proud of the finished floor. I am referring to the bottom of the flange. It does not meet the finished floor.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
that ain't good. cut it out and re-do it or it will rock and break off.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my non-professional opinion, I'd redo it so the flange would set on top of the floor. Setting proud would not provide a solid base and there could be some movement.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
It is to high, when you set the toilet it rock and roll.
But you can shim it but still not a good way to go.

Viking

Reaction score
That's what I thought. Any recommendations on how to ream the closet bend? The finish floor is in.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you have access from below? If not, you may need an inside pipe cutter (essentially a little saw on a shaft used with a drill) to cut it out, install a coupler and a new flange. Depending on how long the riser is will determine how clean the repair can be made without tearing a lot up. What diameter is the drain pipe? If it is 4", you may have some other options...if it is 3", you have fewer.

Pmaru77

Reaction score
If you have your toilet, just measure the difference between the the toilet base and where the wax ring hits. If there is a space difference of more than 1/4 inch (in the right direction of course) then I see no problen putting a 1/4 spacer between the flange bottom and the floor. I have a toilet out that I can measure for you when I get home. My guess is that there is probably about 1/2 inch diff.......this is a pure guess.

Viking

Reaction score
No access from below. The closet bend is 4 inch with a 4 inch riser cut flush to the floor. The flange is glued into the inside of that pipe. Any options on cutting it out is appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can cut the existing stuff off from the inside, then, using a special bit (one brand is called a Rambit, if I remember correctly) that will ream out the socket of the bend, then rebuild it to your needed specs. The tools are probably cheaper than a pro, but a pro would be quicker. There may be other ways as well that are as good or better - that's why you pay a pro! This assumes that there's a socket, which is likely since you said there was a short piece used as a riser.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Or,
If the toilet sets over the flange and meets the floor, you can shim the flange before securing it.

If it's too high for the bowl to set over, then you can think about removal and replacement.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;The flange is glued into the inside of that pipe.

Now WHY would you do that, when it is so much easier to slide flange OVER the pipe and it will ALWAYS go down to the finished floor. Whether it will work or not depends on the toilet you purchase, and how "snug" its opening is to the flange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks