Can you help me identify shower handle valves before I smash my walls open?

Users who are viewing this thread

blaqsmith

Reaction score
My showerhead has been dripping in our shower stall, so I looked online and it seemed like a pretty simple DIY job for the a two handle shower with separate hot and cold. Only I pull off my shower handles to find this (pic below)... which doesn't quite look like the regular straight stem valves I see everywhere online.

I went ahead removed the trim and tried to unscrew it thinking it might just come out no problem, but the tile is tiled right up to the metal cylinder, and while it seems to unscrews and I can move it forward and backwards maybe half and inch after that, it must flare out behind the tile as it won't come out of the wall.

So before I crack open the tile to get this thing out, anyone have any idea what I'm looking at, and if it can be replaced/repaired without screwing with the tile?

Thanks!

insideHandle.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am quite certain that is a Delta 2600 series ( or Peerless similar). The escutcheon unscrews, and the sleeve just screws out. Long threads...keep turning!

blaqsmith

Reaction score
The escutcheon just pops off (no threads), and the metal sleeve does unscrew. Once unscrewed to the point where if can slide forward, I can move it forward about 1/2" before some part of it behind the wall hits the tile and it can no longer slide forward, so I'm assuming it flares out behind the wall in some way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT should come out, but, the Delta stem itself will be inside the wall, and it is very easy to drop it down into the wall when you pull it out, OR put it back in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks