(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Can you help me identify shower handle valves before I smash my walls open?

Default Can you help me identify shower handle valves before I smash my walls open?

My showerhead has been dripping in our shower stall, so I looked online and it seemed like a pretty simple DIY job for the a two handle shower with separate hot and cold. Only I pull off my shower handles to find this (pic below)... which doesn't quite look like the regular straight stem valves I see everywhere online.

I went ahead removed the trim and tried to unscrew it thinking it might just come out no problem, but the tile is tiled right up to the metal cylinder, and while it seems to unscrews and I can move it forward and backwards maybe half and inch after that, it must flare out behind the tile as it won't come out of the wall.

So before I crack open the tile to get this thing out, anyone have any idea what I'm looking at, and if it can be replaced/repaired without screwing with the tile?

Thanks!

Name:  insideHandle.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  31.4 KB

I am quite certain that is a Delta 2600 series ( or Peerless similar). The escutcheon unscrews, and the sleeve just screws out. Long threads...keep turning!

The escutcheon just pops off (no threads), and the metal sleeve does unscrew. Once unscrewed to the point where if can slide forward, I can move it forward about 1/2" before some part of it behind the wall hits the tile and it can no longer slide forward, so I'm assuming it flares out behind the wall in some way.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you can slide off the escutcheon, you should be able to tap out a bit of the tile that is tight around the sleeve.

IT should come out, but, the Delta stem itself will be inside the wall, and it is very easy to drop it down into the wall when you pull it out, OR put it back in.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber