England starting to imitate America?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your family members having to fight the same battle. I have some advice for what it is worth for them which is to try to keep a really positive attitude. I believe that a great attitude about it is really a large part of the fight, kind of like, you are what you eat? you are what you think. I know some people will say it because they don't know what else to say to someone like us, but, with me saying it, I really am serious about it much more than I could ever express. I have seen first hand dire consequences of those who think they won't make it, and those on the other hand, who are a stage 4, like me, who just live with it every day, and life just goes on and on. Sometimes, it rears its ugly head and it got to be whacked again, but, you whack it and you move on. I got things to do.

I swore I would give up counting the number of times I have relapsed with this but, it is like an addiction, lol, I can't! This will make #6. What is odd is the fact that I never (and thankfully) look sick. Only once, I did... once. My weight dropped to 88 lbs and I looked too skinny. But, otherwise, my friend in NZ swears I could win a Mrs. America contest. I really do advise people as crazy as this may sound, but, try to have a light heart about it, tell your family members, to fight this problem like hell for it is worth it, (I had been in remission for 5 years) and tell them not to let others get them down. I have met my share of morons in life. Once I accepted a date for dinner with a man I met through work, a broker, and during dinner he asked what I had been doing. Well, I am honest, I said, I just finished chemo. I laugh now, lol, at my stupidity. I don't date well, lol. Well, you would had thought I said, I was an alien from outer space. He told me that I should had told him, before I accepted the date that I had cancer. When I asked why, he said, well, I wouldn't had asked you out. Yeah, that hurt. But, I got up, took a twenty dollar bill out of my purse, laid it on the table, and said, what I thought of him, and warned him what happened to me, could easily happen to you...

Then, I thought when I paid for the cab home, wow! Am I stupid. Just like Mark said, no commonsense, I should had ordered a great desert, more wine, a better steak, and then... told him, when he drove me home, what a moron he was. So, with or without the illness I live with, I keep as best a positive attitude and a funny one as possible. Laughter if healing and being silly, is even better.

Once, only once, you need to walk in my shoes to appreciate just how grounded and smart, I am. I just don't need to flaunt it.

Ian has some good points. Once in a while. :) I haven't seen it lately, lol.

Last edited:

wmills

Reaction score
My Sis in law is battling cervical C. for two years and has a great attitude, thought they had it in remission but it came back and is now laughing at her. But she is still strong and worries more about others than she does herself. Anyway I am proud to know you because you are strong and sensible.

And yes Ian does have an occasional good/valid point, just not often. And he is always good for a laugh.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your family members having to fight the same battle. I have some advice for what it is worth for them which is to try to keep a really positive attitude. I believe that a great attitude about it is really a large part of the fight, kind of like, you are what you eat? you are what you think. I know some people will say it because they don't know what else to say to someone like us, but, with me saying it, I really am serious about it much more than I could ever express. I have seen first hand dire consequences of those who think they won't make it, and those on the other hand, who are a stage 4, like me, who just live with it every day, and life just goes on and on. Sometimes, it rears its ugly head and it got to be whacked again, but, you whack it and you move on. I got things to do.

I swore I would give up counting the number of times I have relapsed with this but, it is like an addiction, lol, I can't! This will make #6. What is odd is the fact that I never (and thankfully) look sick. Only once, I did... once. My weight dropped to 88 lbs and I looked too skinny. But, otherwise, my friend in NZ swears I could win a Mrs. America contest. I really do advise people as crazy as this may sound, but, try to have a light heart about it, tell your family members, to fight this problem like hell for it is worth it, (I had been in remission for 5 years) and tell them not to let others get them down. I have met my share of morons in life. Once I accepted a date for dinner with a man I met through work, a broker, and during dinner he asked what I had been doing. Well, I am honest, I said, I just finished chemo. I laugh now, lol, at my stupidity. I don't date well, lol. Well, you would had thought I said, I was an alien from outer space. He told me that I should had told him, before I accepted the date that I had cancer. When I asked why, he said, well, I wouldn't had asked you out. Yeah, that hurt. But, I got up, took a twenty dollar bill out of my purse, laid it on the table, and said, what I thought of him, and warned him what happened to me, could easily happen to you...

Then, I thought when I paid for the cab home, wow! Am I stupid. Just like Mark said, no commonsense, I should had ordered a great desert, more wine, a better steak, and then... told him, when he drove me home, what a moron he was. So, with or without the illness I live with, I keep as best a positive attitude and a funny one as possible. Laughter if healing and being silly, is even better.

Once, only once, you need to walk in my shoes to appreciate just how grounded and smart, I am. I just don't need to flaunt it.

Ian has some good points. Once in a while. :) I haven't seen it lately, lol.

Cookie, get better soon and your story about that date is proof of how many a**holes there are in this world.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
It is terrible when it relapses. It doesn't matter if it is the 1st relapse of the 6th, it is heart breaking. Tell Sis in law, she can do it. Tell her, you know a woman here, who has done it more times than she cares to count. I got 5 years out of the last round of treatments. This time, I will get 10. So will she. With a great mindset, you get great results. Don't forget it.

I owe how strong I am to my dad. He used to tell me how headstrong I was, yeah, just like him. So, finally! being stubborn counts! Having a one-track mind counts!
I am and always have been my own person. When I was 5, I was listening to my dad talking to someone about taxes, and I said, " excuse me, but, can't you find a loophole?" I started telling them, about where to find the loopholes within the tax laws; I was in first grade teaching the teacher how to read schematics.

I am smart.

Oh, their are more jerks than one can count. That date was about 5 years ago, but, I still haven't forgotten it, and I see him once in the while when he visits our office and I wait until, he walks past me, and then, I stick my tongue out and put my fingers in my ears wingling them, and everyone around me laughs. He spins around looking directly at me, and I am then, extremely angelic looking. Straight faced and all. He knows I am doing something but, he can't catch me. I am too fast. Too sleek and too sexy. Like a cheetah. He hates me and I don't know why, I love him... lol.

But, their is another broker who is fantastic. And, this will make Ian very happy because he is from England! What a nice guy. He has offered me a position in his office, lunch, dinner, but, sadly, he looks too much like my deceased husband so, I turn it all down. But, he is funny and sweet, and like I said, to my amazement from Ian's neck of the woods :)

So, their is hope for Ian. Hang in their Ian.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Well, I have to take a vacation too.

On my travels I went to Pennsylvania where the Amish live. It was fascinating to see their simple way of life. So primitive.

They drink their water from wells.

They are rarely on public sewer.

And those that have power, only have overhead lines feeding their homes.

It was like Europe centuries ago.

The drivers are courteous there though. Someone has taught Pennsylvanians to drive. The only car that cut me up the whole journey had New York plates. Many Americans can't drive. It might be nature, it might be nurture.

the problem is you have no debtors prisons anymore, no hell hole island to ship them off to
and the world wont allow you to sell them off as slaves either.....

The English value human life. If it had been the Americans they would have called in the army and marched those rioters to a football stadium, like during the Vietnam War demonstrations. America treats its people like animals.

And Americans are oh so willing to give to their community but oh so opposed to paying taxes.

Why?

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
You won't find better people than the Amish. Years ago, at a flea market in Frysburg, I became friendly with an Amish man who sold things from his wagon. He sold glass insulators which I happen to collect forever, and pies. The Shoefly pie was to die for and I asked how this was made. That started a friendship with his daughter Elizabeth and the family now going on for about 25 years at least. They are great people. I have stayed in the farm house with them, fed their chickens, and sat on the stool while they baked, and learned. I had visited the family lumber mill, which really was an honor since, I was a female and English. They are remarkable. I love them. I have a beautiful quilt which they made for me, out of my sons clothing from when they were little. I remember, how they asked me, what those shirts meant. I am referring to, clothing, like a batman shirt, a superman shirt, a power ranger shirt, the ninja turtle clothing, etc. It was a fun afternoon with the ladies. The quilting work was perfect. On them they sewed the boys names.

I have traveled alot during the years and sent them postcards from all the places I had been. They would write back letting me know, how the school season was going, the one room school with students from ages 5 to 12. Elizabeth is a teacher, has been for years.

When a fire took a neighboring family lives we collected money and set up a donation at the local bank. When mom, Bertha broke her arm, I was there, when sis got married I was there, I was there for them always, and widely accepted and still am. When, my husband past, they said prayers and sent things of love I can't describe. They were there for me. Unbelievable. In their meeting house, they prayed for me.

Some of my English friends, when he past, when I was diagnosed again back then with cancer, disappeared. I would see them dart around buildings! I would yell, " I can see you!" Most Christmas cards stopped a year after his death. But, not theirs.

They ask about my life. They always did. I had to always tell them about the English way. If I want to feel loved, I drive there, lol. I am given lots of hugs.

The Amish do not as a rule get vaccinated for any diseases. When I told them about my immunity problem, and how easily, I can get sick, they got their vaccines.

Four years after my husband past on, they tried to play matchmaker. I told them, that I would make a lousy Amish wife. They understood, :)

Emos just thought it was time I got happy again. God bless his soul.

Yes, they got a well. Infact, they got 2. Yes, they got a generator in the barn for milking. Plumbers wouldn't survive there, for they got outhouses.

It is fun to be with them. No one judges anyone. No sibling rivarly. They live a pretty much peaceful existence, not wanting to be bothered. And, if you are just lucky enough to be accepted into their world, it is a rare thing.

Here is one of Liz's recipes for your plumbing wives:

Greetings of love,

Wet Bottom Shoe Fly Pie
6 cups of pastry flour
1 cup of brown sugar
1teaspoon of salt
1teaspoon of soda "heaping"
1teaspoon of cream of tatar "heaping"
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1cup of lard

Surup
4 cups brown sugar
2 cups king surup or dark kero
4 or more beaten eggs
4 cups hot water

Bake at 450F for 10 minutes. Then 400 for 10 Minutes. Reduce heat to 350 bake 25 to 30 minutes

My way to make the surup is as follows,
4 cups of brown sugar
2/3 cup molasses & 1 & 1/3 cup light kero
4 beaten eggs
4 cups of hot water

I put so about 1/4 cup more surup in 1 pie then crumbs. I use the 9 in med size pans to sell. This is a large recipe and make just a half of batch if you wish. If I don't need all the crumbs I just put them in a cool place, ( cellar) and keep them until next time. It keeps a good while there. I put surup in crust then the crumbs on top. If you want a more wet bottom just put more surup in and less crumbs.

Elizabeth

* Just a note, their simple ways of life is so refreshing at times, but, they work hard. Their is always the haying to do, the farming, the darning, the canning, the lumbering, the shoeing of horses, the work is endless. I hope they are around another hundred years.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Well, I have to take a vacation too.

On my travels I went to Pennsylvania where the Amish live. It was fascinating to see their simple way of life. So primitive.

They drink their water from wells.

They are rarely on public sewer.

And those that have power, only have overhead lines feeding their homes.

It was like Europe centuries ago.

The drivers are courteous there though. Someone has taught Pennsylvanians to drive. The only car that cut me up the whole journey had New York plates. Many Americans can't drive. It might be nature, it might be nurture.

The English value human life. If it had been the Americans they would have called in the army and marched those rioters to a football stadium, like during the Vietnam War demonstrations. America treats its people like animals.

And Americans are oh so willing to give to their community but oh so opposed to paying taxes.

Why?
The Amish people came to the US to escape the persecution they received in Europe, and ar able to exiast here oeacefully and in harmony with us fancy people. They do have their own problems too.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It seems that all the Americans were running away from the Europeans.

Seems a little bit over the top. If we were teasing you, there was probably good reason.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It seems that all the Americans were running away from the Europeans.

Seems a little bit over the top. If we were teasing you, there was probably good reason.

Ian, you've been watching Mary Poppins too often methinks. T'was not the tease, but the suffering. Snot funny needer.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
In the Columbia Encyclopedia it is stated that "Although not actively persecuted, the Pilgrims were subjected to ecclesiastical investigation and to the mockery, criticism, and disfavor of their neighbors.".

It we'd all agreed on moderation in the church there would have been no need for runners.

Just what was wrong with our church?

Not strict enough?

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yes, you do need a Queen.

You've been lucky left to your own devices with your current President...he's the man for the job.

But previous examples have been less than you might have hoped.

And you don't need the American system to have checks and balances.

England has that too with both the Houses in its Parliament.

Anyone with a modicum of common sense could turn this country around on a dime.

Raise taxes on the rich to narrow the deficit and invest in education, health and infrastructure.

That would make America great again.

Not the crackpot ideas you hear on the TV.

Rich people create jobs? Whatever next?

There's no Time for Tea.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
When I read where you rode across Pa and the Amish country, I thought I would give you a little insight into what kind of people they are, something you could not experience by looking out a car window. I tried by sharing some of what I have experienced with them. I hope it helped you in someway, some small way perhaps, to understand them. Usually, what I do fails or falls on deaf ears, lol. It is my lot in life.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, you do need a Queen.

You've been lucky left to your own devices with your current President...he's the man for the job.

But previous examples have been less than you might have hoped.

And you don't need the American system to have checks and balances.

England has that too with both the Houses in its Parliament.

Anyone with a modicum of common sense could turn this country around on a dime.

Raise taxes on the rich to narrow the deficit and invest in education, health and infrastructure.

That would make America great again.

Not the crackpot ideas you hear on the TV.

Rich people create jobs? Whatever next?

There's no Time for Tea.

So you are a saying we have the African Queen? I thought we did that one once before.:p

wmills

Reaction score
"Anyone with a modicum of common sense could turn this country around on a dime."

Lets out the current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
No, the President the American people picked, they picked well. I can't raise a complaint there.

And Cookie, thank you for your insights on the Amish. They were gratefully received.

What I found most surprising, perhaps, is that their simple way of life is not that far off the rest of America.

In other words, the American way of life is quite simple too!

Lots of people drink their water ffrom wells.

Lots of people have septic tanks rather than being linked to public sewer.

And most of the power is supplied overhead.

I say it's time for a change. Let the Amish continue with their way of life, but the rest of America needs to get with the times.

And we should do that with taxpayer dollars.

I'm tired of driving on bridges that are crumbling.

We need another stimulus.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
The real Amish will not have power lines on their property. Pump water with a ram and run machines with hydraulics. Peculiar concept.

Next road trip stop - the Mormons. Damned interesting bunch of oddities in America. Great library.

And every GOOD man needs two wives, minimum.

Here we have Mennonites, but you find them in Walmart buying light blue cloth for their prarie dresses.

And here is what your English rioters get as a public service punishment: # 5 the latrine pit clean out.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/slideshow.cfm?id=health-brief-history-of-toilet

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
They do make nice furniture.

I just wish they would use European growth.

American wood just don't cut the mustard.

[video=youtube_share;shbgRyColvE]http://youtu.be/shbgRyColvE[/video]

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks