England starting to imitate America?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pipehacker

Reaction score
In America, any Tom, Dick or Harry can own one and - let's face it - Americans are simply not as clever as the Canadians.

The pendulum in Canada re gun control is beginning to swing the other way. Look for the long arm registry to be abolished soon. Where I frequent there has been a marked increase in wolf attacks on domestic pets, as apparently the deer population is decreasing. It is only a matter of time before a person becomes the next victim, an unfortunate circumstance which could be prevented by carrying a firearm. Ian, there remain places which are not governable by PHD's, social workers, and other trappings of big government. And we like it that way.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
All guns serve to do is kill other Americans.

They "protect" no one.

Ban them.

And leave them in the hands of those that are trained to use them. Like the Army.

Cookie

Reaction score
Whose armies? lol.

Ian, you got one life to live that is it. Maybe, if you had to fight to keep it, you would better understand this. Until, then, it is easy to be naive. Guns do serve their purpose. Like LOTW said, not to be a wolf's meal, in my neck of the woods, a bear's, and to protect oneself and family from the biggest possible predator of all, man. Maybe, Bob is right.

Last edited:

Pipehacker

Reaction score
All guns serve to do is kill other Americans.

They "protect" no one.

Ban them.

And leave them in the hands of those that are trained to use them. Like the Army.

Ian, I am not a member of the NRA because, like you, I believe that people should be required to know how to use guns before they acquire one. But I enjoy reading the NRA's magazine, and every month it has documented reports of guns protecting people. One of Iowa's US representative, Leonard Boswell, was recently the victim of a home invasion in which a weapon proved to be very effective protection. Please review what happened to him and report back to us as to whether you wish to change your overstated position on this issue.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The good ol' NRA magazine. They're welcome to keep it. Just ban guns.

The incidents reported are one in 300 million. I'd rather take my chance with the lottery.

The problem is that for every one of those stories, 10,000 American citizens (that's two-and-a-half 9/11s) are being killed by other American citizens using guns every single year. Numbers like that should put the terrorists out of work. Or they should go somewhere else where the residents aren't doing the job for them!

And how many kids get their hands on daddy's gun? A lot judging by the metal detectors you have in schools.

Do you have any idea how ridiculuous the notion of having metal detectors in schools sounds to other countries?

Stop listening to the lobbies.

America would be a safer place without guns.

Last edited:

Pipehacker

Reaction score
The good ol' NRA magazine. They're welcome to keep it. Just ban guns.

The incidents reported are one in 300 million. I'd rather take my chance with the lottery.

And how many kids get their hands on daddy's gun? A lot judging by the metal detectors you have in schools."

Do you have any idea how ridiculuous the notion of having metal detectors in schools sounds to other countries?

Metal detectors in schools are no more or no less ridiculous than metal detectors in soccer matches. Don't blame the victims for wanting to protect themselves.
I am not worried about my kids getting guns from parents. I am worried that kids who come to our community from other communities, primarily Chicago, to obtain public housing may have brought their guns with them. If you end public housing for all except the disabled you will end the need for metal detectors in schools. It may take two generations for the work ethic to be restored, but the first step is to discontinue rewarding people for not working.

Cookie

Reaction score
What the statistics do not show, and probably can't ever all show, is how many lives are saved by someone having a gun for protection thwarting a potential loss of an innocent life. I agree with Bob.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I am speechless.

Your poor people from disadvantaged backgrounds are the same as those everywhere else.

The reason people don't die from gun crime in other countries in the horrific numbers as they do here is simply because gun ownership is controlled.

Ban guns. If you value life.

Am I only one around here that values American lives?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok Ian. Pooof....guns are banned. Now how do you plan on confiscating them without getting shot? Your argument is as hollow as those that wish to throw all the illegal aliens out of the country. In both cases there are too many of them and not enough man power or money to accomplish the impossible task. Find something else to crusade about. That one is a lost cause.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Tom,

You know as well as I do that Americans love rules. They hate to admit it, because the country was founded on Freedom, but deep inside each and every American is an admiration for rules, whether it be a building code or the law. Each of you has a born design to follow. And keep within the norms. I blame (or credit) your parents for this behavior.

Ban guns, and nine out of ten Americans would drop them off to the authorities the very next day. The remainder would drop them after a year or so when they find out they couldn't get the bullets.

Don't believe me?

Think of the humble three handle tub/shower valve. It's largely non-code compliant now. And I don't know a single American that didn't move over to a single pressure--balanced valve as soon as they found out these were no longer adequate. And for those that do still have them, just try to buy a replacement. They simply are not sold any more.

Ban guns and you'd have Americans queueing up at the Police Station the next day, eager to dispense of their arsonry to free their conscience.

Because y'all love rules and it just itches ya to be in "non-compliance". Americans just can't seem to sleep at night knowing they're not within the law.

A ban might not work elsewhere, but it would sure as heck work here!

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Americans love rules? You need to take a trip to Texas, or Montana or perhaps New Hampshire :D

Cookie

Reaction score
There has been a turn in your gun for cash program in different cities and, when first started their was alot of reports of guns being stolen, turned in for cash. I don't know how successful that is. :)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
You know I'm right.

Tell your neighbors you don't respect the law or don't follow building code and watch the reception you get.

Of course you won't do that, will you?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I am speechless.

Your poor people from disadvantaged backgrounds are the same as those everywhere else.

The reason people don't die from gun crime in other countries in the horrific numbers as they do here is simply because gun ownership is controlled.

Ban guns. If you value life.

Am I only one around here that values American lives?

Banning guns here would be just as effective as in Afghanistan.

No, you are not alone in valuing American lives, We just want to keep the freedom to extinguish those disturbed ones that deserve the cemetery.

If you don't have a gun taped to the Cadet 3 tank bottom in each toilet and one in each bedroom, and one next to the entry door, your chances of becoming a sad statistic are very high.

Although I have a delightful German Shepherd that would have to be shot several times before anyone was stupid enough to try and open a door.

Once you advocate dogs instead of pool cues, we will agree.

I am venturing a guess that a BIG Shepherd in a house is a better crime deterrent than any collection of guns

And another one outside makes you a total 'pass by' for criminals.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
[[I][/I]QUOTE]I'd just love to see the American population, grandma and all, rise up against the US Government and its army. It would be a bloodbath.
[/QUOTE]

Since we have such a good system of checks and balances, our army would'nt even get out of its bunks to quell a uprising proposed by a maniac ruler.

This is NOT Libya, in case you have not noticed yet.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Then you don't need the guns. Or are you worried Congress will come round and whoop your behind?

Without an army, they're a bunch of 70-something year olds (you like your elderly leaders here, don't you?).

Ban guns. Except Ballvalve who's afraid of his 75 year old Congress woman.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
My previous congressman was my partner in a large land and vineyard deal. Never dealt with such an avaricious, deranged, lying, disturbed individual.

A large newspaper did a front page article called "Vines and lies" But I was advised by other political friends that my honest interview would probably cause unusual fires to my house and business by the Portugese, Italian and other small time, big money farm mobsters.

They installed this imbecile as their puppet to preserve their free Govt. water supply and kick backs for NOT growing things.

The only medicine for this despot is a gun. Small caliber, starting with kneecaps.

But we need guns for the coming chinese invasion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks