(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: England starting to imitate America?

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Come on Bob. This is much more fun than electronics.

Real life. Real politics. Real lives.

You can pretend to make it go away, but then China will bite your back.

How about taking a critical look at what can be done better?

The time to stick your head in the sand and trust the Constitution is gone.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 08-21-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Our founding fathers were smart enough to realize that an unarmed citizen is vunerable to a despotic government. We have the constitutional right to keep and bear arms as well as overthrow a tyrannical government which would be impossible to do if we had no weapons. Why do you suppose those countries with dictators forbid it's citizens to own firearms? If the riots in England become more viscous and wide spread how long do you think it will be before England sets its armed military upon it's own citizens?
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

I'd just love to see the American population, grandma and all, rise up against the US Government and its army. It would be a bloodbath.

My main complaint with gun ownership in America is most of the people here are not trained how to shoot. By definition, this means that they will aim and hit something else. Often, themselves.

Ban guns. Americans are simply not skilled enough to own them.

The Founding Fathers, if alive today, would be smart enough to know that a modern firearm is a little bit different to the gunpowder muskets they referred to. And would ban guns.

I bet I could trim that long hair sticking out on the side of your head and not miss.

everyone I know that owns guns is pretty damn good with them. I can't speak for the British though, hell they still drive on the wrong side of the road and drink warm beer.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

In America, any Tom, Dick or Harry can own one and - let's face it - Americans are simply not as clever as the Canadians.

The pendulum in Canada re gun control is beginning to swing the other way. Look for the long arm registry to be abolished soon. Where I frequent there has been a marked increase in wolf attacks on domestic pets, as apparently the deer population is decreasing. It is only a matter of time before a person becomes the next victim, an unfortunate circumstance which could be prevented by carrying a firearm. Ian, there remain places which are not governable by PHD's, social workers, and other trappings of big government. And we like it that way.

Ian, does this speak to you, just a little?
    http://news.yahoo.com/iran-starts-mo...091104952.html
    Last edited by Cookie; 08-22-2011 at 08:09 AM.

All guns serve to do is kill other Americans.

They "protect" no one.

Ban them.

And leave them in the hands of those that are trained to use them. Like the Army.

Whose armies? lol.

Ian, you got one life to live that is it. Maybe, if you had to fight to keep it, you would better understand this. Until, then, it is easy to be naive. Guns do serve their purpose. Like LOTW said, not to be a wolf's meal, in my neck of the woods, a bear's, and to protect oneself and family from the biggest possible predator of all, man. Maybe, Bob is right.
    Last edited by Cookie; 08-22-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    All guns serve to do is kill other Americans.

They "protect" no one.

Ban them.

And leave them in the hands of those that are trained to use them. Like the Army.
    Ian, I am not a member of the NRA because, like you, I believe that people should be required to know how to use guns before they acquire one. But I enjoy reading the NRA's magazine, and every month it has documented reports of guns protecting people. One of Iowa's US representative, Leonard Boswell, was recently the victim of a home invasion in which a weapon proved to be very effective protection. Please review what happened to him and report back to us as to whether you wish to change your overstated position on this issue.

The good ol' NRA magazine. They're welcome to keep it. Just ban guns.

The incidents reported are one in 300 million. I'd rather take my chance with the lottery.

The problem is that for every one of those stories, 10,000 American citizens (that's two-and-a-half 9/11s) are being killed by other American citizens using guns every single year. Numbers like that should put the terrorists out of work. Or they should go somewhere else where the residents aren't doing the job for them!

And how many kids get their hands on daddy's gun? A lot judging by the metal detectors you have in schools.

Do you have any idea how ridiculuous the notion of having metal detectors in schools sounds to other countries?

Stop listening to the lobbies.

America would be a safer place without guns.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 08-22-2011 at 01:09 PM.

[QUOTE=Ian Gills;310265]The good ol' NRA magazine. They're welcome to keep it. Just ban guns.

The incidents reported are one in 300 million. I'd rather take my chance with the lottery.

And how many kids get their hands on daddy's gun? A lot judging by the metal detectors you have in schools."

Do you have any idea how ridiculuous the notion of having metal detectors in schools sounds to other countries?

Metal detectors in schools are no more or no less ridiculous than metal detectors in soccer matches. Don't blame the victims for wanting to protect themselves.
    I am not worried about my kids getting guns from parents. I am worried that kids who come to our community from other communities, primarily Chicago, to obtain public housing may have brought their guns with them. If you end public housing for all except the disabled you will end the need for metal detectors in schools. It may take two generations for the work ethic to be restored, but the first step is to discontinue rewarding people for not working.

What the statistics do not show, and probably can't ever all show, is how many lives are saved by someone having a gun for protection thwarting a potential loss of an innocent life. I agree with Bob.

I am speechless.

Your poor people from disadvantaged backgrounds are the same as those everywhere else.

The reason people don't die from gun crime in other countries in the horrific numbers as they do here is simply because gun ownership is controlled.

Ban guns. If you value life.

Am I only one around here that values American lives?

Ok Ian. Pooof....guns are banned. Now how do you plan on confiscating them without getting shot? Your argument is as hollow as those that wish to throw all the illegal aliens out of the country. In both cases there are too many of them and not enough man power or money to accomplish the impossible task. Find something else to crusade about. That one is a lost cause.