Replacing water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

cag9228

Reaction score
All,

I am replacing a water heater that developed a slight leak at the cold inlet. At first I thought it was the nipple, but after disassembling and reassembling the connections (used Rectorseal #5 on the threaded connections) I realized it was a leak on a weld.

So when installing the new one, do they come with the T&P already installed? If so, do I need to remove it, dope it, and screw it back in? Ditto with the nipples. And should I be worried about over tightening threaded connections?

Regards,

Andy

cag9228

Reaction score
Ah ok. So then I just leave them alone.

I'll attach the dielectric unions to the nipples and run copper from the unions up. That's pretty easy.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the one you buy, the nipples may already BE a dielectric union...no reason to add another one. Also, depending on where you live, some places REQUIRE the connection to be made with a flexible supply, and some PROHIBIT it. It's much easier to screw the flexible copper supply pipe in rather than try to align it with hard copper, but either can work, depending on what your inspector wants.

cag9228

Reaction score
Depending on the one you buy, the nipples may already BE a dielectric union...no reason to add another one. Also, depending on where you live, some places REQUIRE the connection to be made with a flexible supply, and some PROHIBIT it. It's much easier to screw the flexible copper supply pipe in rather than try to align it with hard copper, but either can work, depending on what your inspector wants.

Yeah the flexible connectors are out as an option due to code. Aligning the copper isn't that big of a deal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks