Pipe cover?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I am not even sure what the name of this would be but here it goes. Coming out of the wall going to the toilet is the copper fitting which a flex tube is connected to. My question is about the copper pipe coming out of the wall. The hole around it is much bigger than the actually circumference than the pipe itself. That is because the plumber put a plug on the end while the remodel is going on. Is there any type of cover other than just mud that a person can get to be decorative and cover the hole? Thanks.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am not even sure what the name of this would be but here it goes. Coming out of the wall going to the toilet is the copper fitting which a flex tube is connected to. My question is about the copper pipe coming out of the wall. The hole around it is much bigger than the actually circumference than the pipe itself. That is because the plumber put a plug on the end while the remodel is going on. Is there any type of cover other than just mud that a person can get to be decorative and cover the hole? Thanks.

The easiest to install, but not necessarily the most attractive escutcheon, is the split type with a pivot that opens up and you place it around the pipe, and then close it, like the fist one on this link to Home Depot, or other sizes shown that might be needed if the copper pipe is other than 1/2 inch copper: (it got censored out) so just go to Home depots web site and search for "pipe escutcheon". It will be the first picture top left

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
Went to our hardware store today and they had them but not for my size. The pipe coming out of the wall to the toilet is a 1/2". They had for 1/2" pipe or 3/4" copper but not 1/2" copper. I live 40 miles from Home Depot, so I am not going to drive there just to get one. I guess I need to order one online but need to find one that fits my 1/2" copper. Thanks.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Oh well, I thought it would be easier for you with the info I gave you. Bear in mind that the actual outside diameter of 1/2 inch copper measures 5/8 inch in diameter. An escutcheon that is for 1/2 inch IPS (iron pipe size) will have an opening of 7/8 inch in diameter. Your tubing coming out of the wall is most likely the copper one, as you said. If a web site says its ofr 1/2 copper, then it should be. Why don't you order it online from HD? the shipping is probably more than the item, though.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

A "floor and ceiling plate", which is what those hinged escutcheons are, is one of the tackiest ways to cover the hole around a fixture water line. They are also just plain metal and will quickly rust in a damp bathroom. Do it the right way and remove the valve, then slide the proper escutcheon on, (unless you can find the split plastic ones which open and spring closed).

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
How is that tacky? I think they look a lot less tacky then they way the people had it. With a hole larger than the pipe so you can see into the wall. Where do you find the split plastic ones?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
How is that tacky? I think they look a lot less tacky then they way the people had it. With a hole larger than the pipe so you can see into the wall. Where do you find the split plastic ones?

By all means, find a split ceiling plate. 1/2 CTS is so common, I am surprised they didn't have that size. For the orignal installer, it is tacky to not use a one-piece escutcheon, or in your case to use none at all. But you have no choice. Spit is better than the hole! No one is going to send in the escutcheon police to give you a "tacky" ticket!

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
By all means, find a split ceiling plate. 1/2 CTS is so common, I am surprised they didn't have that size. For the orignal installer, it is tacky to not use a one-piece escutcheon, or in your case to use none at all. But you have no choice. Spit is better than the hole! No one is going to send in the escutcheon police to give you a "tacky" ticket!

I've used several of those metal split plates, and never had one rust on me; must have gotten a lucky good plating job on the ones I bought

Whew! hj had us worried about the tacky ticket LOL!:D

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Inge, HJ is correct, a pro plumber would never install a split plate, but this DIYer gives you permission to if you wish.;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks