Replace chrome trap arm under kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

bl2003

Reaction score
Hi all,
I started replacing kitchen sink plumbing and stuck, because I am not sure how to remove the trap arm to replace it with PVC part.
Looks like it is either soldered or glued into some kind of fitting inside the elbow. At the wall side the elbow seems to be screwed into the waste pipe.
Please advice.
Thanks!
Item 0.jpg
Item 1.jpg
pic3.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's soldered into a threaded bushing. You will need to cut the chrome off flush with the bushing and then make a couple of horizontal cut through the bushing and peel it out with a chisel.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should be able to unscrew that fitting from the portion sticking out of the wall. It is preferable to only use male plastic threaded fittings, because if you get it too tight with a female, it may end up splitting down the road (if it doesn't happen right away). With a male plastic bit, the metal female helps prevent it from splitting. It is possible that the nipple through the wall may unscrew from the fitting behind. This normally isn't catastrophic, but you'd need to clean it off and then put pipe dope or teflon tape on it before screwing it back in. That looks like concrete, so if it is, it probably won't budge when removing the coupling from the threaded nipple.

Normally you'd screw on a Desanko (it is called other things in various parts of the country, and then the tubular trap arm would slide into it, you then tighten up the compression nut on the Desanko, and you're done. WIthout seeing the whole shebang, it's hard to tell if you need that 22-degree offset or can just use a straight fitting.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would lay money that there ain't no way that brass bushing is unscrewing from that cast, but it might. Stranger things have happened. They just never seem to happen to me.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I have never unscrewed a trap solder bushing,Because the tubular pipe will crush when you put pliers to it.
I cut them out like the above posters and install a trap adapter.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
One side is soldered, you won't get that out...the other end is threaded onto the nipple...that should unscrew. Now, it's possible that the solder made it into the threads of the back part, then, all bets are off. That nipple may screw out of the fitting behind it, and if required, you could install a new one if you can't get that fitting off.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; You should be able to unscrew that fitting from the portion sticking out of the wall.

That will be the day. In 60+ years I have NEVER been able to unscrew one. They ALWAYS have to be cut out.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
One side is soldered, you won't get that out...the other end is threaded onto the nipple...that should unscrew. Now, it's possible that the solder made it into the threads of the back part, then, all bets are off. That nipple may screw out of the fitting behind it, and if required, you could install a new one if you can't get that fitting off.

The way they were installed was to solder the bushing onto the trap before screwing it in. There should be no solder behind the bushing. But in most cases it will have to be cut out.

John

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm with HJ, not yet 60 years but close to 40. It ain't coming unscrewed for me I guaranteeeeeeeeeee

Jadnashua

Reaction score
So, what you are saying is that the fitting screwed onto the nipple coming out of the wall won't budge? If so, I'd guess it would take some careful cutting to not ruin the threads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks