Any toilets with only a 26" depth on a 14" rough?

Users who are viewing this thread

badwife

Reaction score
I decided to surprise my husband with a bathroom remodel while he was out of town. He came home to find a bathroom with no sink and no toilet. Apparently I destroyed the only toilet in the world that fit the space. We have a 14" rough and the small space allows for only a 26" depth from the wall. I have spent hours on-line trying to find a toilet with no success - even the Totos do not have the short depth we require. Additionally, my husband insists the adapters that would allow the use of a 12" rough in do not work well. Does anybody know of any options?!?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you have access to beneath the floor? Is there something in the way that prevented them from originally using a standard 12" rough-in? If the restriction is a door, would it be possible to rework that doorway to be a pocket door or an outside surface door (similar to a barn door)? Either of those can work well, and makes a small room much more manageable. 26" is short for any toilet, and then when you throw in the 14" rough-in, you've got even more problems. There are some offset flanges that work, but the more common one does not work well at all. But, if you have room to use one of them, you usually can move the whole thing to where it needs to be in the first place.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Toto toilets with the 14" Unfit work well.

What your husband means, is that an "offset" flange doesn't work as well.
For an offset flange to be installed, would mean redoing the drain.
If a drain is redone, then often you can install it at 12". Not always. Sometimes there was a reason for the 14" rough.

We do install and sell hundreds of the Unifit equipped Toto toilets; most at the standard 12", but also many at 10" and 14"
They work very well.

Here is your husbands options.
He can pick up a 12" bowl.
Then his next option is either a slim tank or a fat tank. Either way, the 12" bowl sets out in the room.

Or you can pick up a Toto with Unifit, maybe a Vespin, and install it with a 14" Unifit to pull it back 2".
Either way, you will never see 26" again. That toilet was made 90 years ago.

unifit_choice.jpg

The Unifit works very well at moving the bowl. Performance is very good too.

cst474_angle.jpg

Here is a Vespin installed with the 14" adpapter in an old Seattle home from the 1920's.

Vespin
Vespin II HET
Carlyle
Carlyle II HET
Carrollton
Carolina
Carolina II HET
Lloyd
Pacifica
Soiree
Guinevere

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I bought my home many years ago, the bathroom door opened in toward the toilet. I found this to be unacceptable, so I converted the door to a pocket door. That has proven to be a real winner. When I constructed a new small bathroom in my basement, I used a pocket door there as well. A swinging door eats up a lot of space in a small room. I concur with Terry's point regarding using one of the Toto's that use the Unifit adapter. Toto is the only company that makes this type of adapter, all models are excellent performers.

Vespin
Vespin II HET
Carlyle
Carlyle II HET
Carrollton
Carolina
Carolina II HET
Lloyd
Pacifica
Soiree
Guinevere

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When your old toilet was made, they produced a special bowl with a standard tank for a 14" rough. NOW they use a special tank and a standard bowl which means it WILL project 2" further into the room than the old one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks