blue grey water coming from tub

Users who are viewing this thread

coopdedoo

Reaction score
I have a mystery that I hope someone can offer some suggestions about. The bath tub in the apartment over my garage has bluish grey water coming from the spout. The tub also has a shower with an old hand held shower head. My tenant turns on the tub water to get it warm before showering and sometimes it comes out a bluish dark grey for 10 seconds or so. I thought maybe it was something disintegrating in the old shower head but as he turns on the tub first that doesn't seem likely.

I've read about blue water syndrome from corroding copper pipe but the color doesn't seem to match the description. I really hope it isn't that! No other fixture has the problem.

Any ideas anyone? I'm attaching a picture of the water...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 985

coopdedoo

Reaction score
I would check the tub spout nipple, it could be galvanized and is coroding.

Thank you for the suggestion! It doesn't happen every time but maybe if it sits for a while the color builds up?

A friend suggested I drain the water heater tank and flush it but it seems that I would be seeing the blue water coming from other places if that were the problem. Do you agree? The tub is directly over the water heater so it's the shortest run in the house.

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion! It doesn't happen every time the tub is used--does that seem strange if it's the spout nipple?

It would depend on the length of time between uses. The longer the time between uses the more discoloration.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks