(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: New softner, tank and filter question.

Default New softner, tank and filter question.

I have well water (drilled well) and sitting in my basement a new water softner, pressure tank and water heater ready to install, what's holding me up is a decision on whether to use a sediment filter or not. There is a lot of sediment in the water and I'm thinking a good filter is in order.
    Speaking of order, if I do go with a sediment filter, should it go before or after the water softner?
    What's your opinion of residential UV treatment?
    Thanks,
    John

The sediment filter between the pressure tank and the softener is a good idea, some do not think so, but that is a way of saving the softener from sand build up with in the media and doing damage to the softener valve.
    Why are you thinking of the uv treatment? is there some thing in the water that needs to be killed?
    Is the water un-safe to drink with out it?

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Is this an old or new well? Mud or rock well? I'm trying to determine what this "sediment" is if it even is sediment.

Akpsdvan is right... you don't want sediment to build up in your softener.

A new well that the driller did not take the time to develop properly could have some turbidity that should clear up eventually. If it doesn't, a sandtrap or LAKOS separator might be better than replacing filter elements often. If what you call sediment is actually precipitated iron, you might want to consider an iron filter.

Here's info from the Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources on the well - drilled 12/2004, 5" borehole and casing, depth of 42' with brown sand and gravel from 0 to 39' with brown gravel from 39 to 42'. Static water at 23' and a drawdown of 10'. I had a water analysis done with a private company with results of hardness @23 gpg, iron @ 1.0, ph of 7.0 and TDS @ 930.
    My house is on the water of a small chain of lakes on the south side of Akron. I previously had well water for 25 years at another location with a well depth of almost 300' and had no problems with what I call sediment. I believe I do here hence the thinking of adding a filter.
    As far a purification, the water did test safe for drinking. It's just I'm not used to such a shallow well and think while I'm doing the whole system, is it a good move to go ahead and install a purification unit?
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input.
    John

OH - I forgot to mention all the homes have septic systems around here with the houses fairly close. I have a 50 x 200 lot, most are 2 or 3 lots per property. This is a big reason for possible addition of a purification system.
    John

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Since we cannot determine the coarseness or quantity of the sediment, it is hard to make suggestions. A stainless steel mesh filter that can be flushed might be adequate or a spun type filter of a suitable micron size may be needed. The size of filter will determine how often it clogs and how much it reduces the flow.

One could experiment with different micron sizes in series to get the degree of filtration, and/or parallel up several housings to acheive the needed flow.

As for UV treatment, there is a lot of debate on efficacy WRT to the volume of flow, hardness and turbidity, etc. I'll leave that to the experts to comment.