Hydrogen sulfide from hot water only

Users who are viewing this thread

BurleyMike

Reaction score
My parents have a small laundry room in their garage. They have a 20 gallon water heater that supplies the washing machine and a utility sink. The water heater gets very little use probably 5 gallons a week or less.

After using this setup for about 1 year now the hot water side is starting to get that lovely hydrogen sulfide smell to it. They are on city water which has me stumped. I have run into this before with well water but thought city water being chlorinated would not have this problem.

What is the best way to remedy the stink?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
One would think that city water would not have bacteria but none the less, you might try raising the temperature a bit to make it less hospitable for the odour causing bacteria. Changing out the anode to a different type might help. Some have even removed the anode (at the risk of a shorter tank life).

Lastly, it is possible that bacteria established a foothold in the supply line after the heater so removing and sanitizing it with bleach is worth a try.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks