Wax ring advice. Reinforced or plain ole wax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Amtrak23

Reaction score
Pulled up old 1983 Mansfield just now to see what goodies were hiding under it. I found a CI flange in pretty good shape (I think?) that appears to be soldered to the 4" CI pipe that goes straight down for a few feet. Flange is on top of the finished vinyl floor. Access below is possible but not easy.

After cleaning it up a bit I determined that the flange is good to go, but am unsure of the wax ring to use. What was there was a ring with a rubber sleeve and there appeared to be some leaked water at some point. Now this toilet would always clog, but we never had any water coming out from the un-caulked base of the toilet at any point, so I believe it was minimal leakage whenever it did occur. And it may have just been sweat too, as this guy was always dripping like it just ran a Marathon.

After research I see that most here don't like the reinforced/sleeved wax rings, but that is what was recommended at the local hardware store. In my head it would seem to make sense here since the pipe opening is a bit large. Or am I over-thinking and should just slap a regular ring on it? The ring I purchased is from an Oatey No-seep No. 3 Kit.

Which ring should I go with? Any other pointers? Test fit of the Eco Drake fits nice and will just barely need shimmed up.

old base.jpg
old ring.jpg
ci.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well guess who is selling the wax rings with the funnels! Then only time these are worth considering is if a flange is very low and requires 2 wax rings. In that one case, a plain ring on the flange and the funnel ring on top of that. These funnels used alone restrict the diameter of the flange and tend to cause problems rather than prevent them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That extra plastic in the wax can provide another leak path, and, if not centered properly, can crimp closed to restrict the opening. Based on the (correct) position of your flange relative to the finished floor, a standard wax ring is all you need.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks