Price Pfister Flowmatic Shower faucet cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

eharrach

Reaction score
Hi,

I am unable to identify the manufacturer of the shower faucets in two of the bathrooms in my house. My house was built in 1964 and I assume that these are the original bath/shower faucets.

The cartridge has the following written on it:

US Pat 2923315
708 M.F.

I have two of these tub/shower faucets, both are in need of cartridge replacement. The shower is in immediate need of cartridge replacement or I will need to tear up the shower to replace the faucet. I have attached two pictures of the cartridge, can anyone identify the brand?

2011_07_28_017_2.jpg2011_07_28_018_2.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That shape is so distinctive that it should be easy to identify. Unfortunately, it has been decades since I last saw one like it and cannot remember the make. It might be ValTemp, but that is just a guess.

eharrach

Reaction score
Thanks. I just searched for Val Temp online but I can't find very much information. None for a single handle shower faucet.

eharrach

Reaction score
Thanks for looking up the patent number, when I use google to search for the patent number I get:
http://www.patents.com/us-3623510.html

It does list the patent number on my cartridge and that it was patented to Bletcher in 1960. A similar patent to Moen in 1961. I called Moen and sent them the pictures. They sent back an email stating that the cartridge wasn't theirs, or for one of their faucets.

I went to the Alfano plumbing web site. Excellent pdf files showing faucet cartridges, but I couldn't find a match for mine.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
good legwork. Congratulations for doing this homework before posting again. (Thousands of homeowners post here and in other forums, who do nothing except ask for help without doing any work behind the scenes. You deserve a lot of respect.)

I would send these pictures (and a link to this thread on this forum) to a few other old companies. If I name the ones I would think of off-hand, someone might chime in to contradict my ideas. Persist in "hounding" them to respond.

I would also send a 2nd request to Moen, if you have any hint that the 1960 patent number is related in any way. At many companies, a 1st level response is not the right response, and later someone else reviews it and sends a correction. It could happen that Moen sends you another email response in a few days.

An email to Alfano's might produce a response (a match). They know stuff. Also email to Mark's and Teter's (in TX).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen NEVER used a cartridge like that. Any reference to Moen may be an "advertisement" on the web site. The faucet your search references was patented in 1971, so it could not be for your valve. But it is maddening because I have seen the thing but cannot remember who made it.

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Moen NEVER used a cartridge like that. Any reference to Moen may be an "advertisement" on the web site. The faucet your search references was patented in 1971, so it could not be for your valve. But it is maddening because I have seen the thing but cannot remember who made it.
Me too,it upsets me I only remember it one time and it was a PIA then 20 some years ago.
Been searching and sent one of the pictures to noel`s hope they can help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My immpression is that it was used in a kitchen sink faucet. It was mounted on the rear of the valve body and had a lever handle attached to it. That was usually a feature of a Schaible faucet, but they used a different mechanism.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am going out on a limb here, (and it was my first impression although, if I am correct, the part you have does not look like the part you will have to buy), because I cannot take a new cartridge apart without destroying it. I believe what you have there is PART of a Price Pfister "Flowmatic" cartridge. IF so, you cannot buy just that part, but need the entire operating unit. A picture of the valve's handle, and/or the valve in the wall, would verify that this is what you have.

Last edited:

eharrach

Reaction score
I have taken pictures of the faucet handles of the shower and the bathtub. I will also attach more pictures of the cartridge or part of the cartridge.
IMG_0673.jpgIMG_0674.jpgIMG_0672.jpgIMG_0671.jpgIMG_0670.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1. hj may be the only person on the planet to have ever seen the inside of a PP flowmatic cartridge.
2. Having now seen your photos of the handle, etc, I think he will agree that it is not that.
3. Thank you for the great photos! But it is a complete stranger to me! Someone will know what this is. Stay tuned.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Actually, the picture of the handle makes me even more positive it is a FlowMatic or some variation of it. The valve body will be the determining factor. The patent office site for the patent numbers does everything except display the text on the pages.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This is the one I have always known as flowmatic: Price Pfister flowmatic cartridge
I don't know what the inside looks like!!! I agree that the OP handle is similar, but the one I am familiar with has a star-shaped screw cap. The handle to me also has an American Standard 'smell' to it, but I am put off by the lack of any logo on the escutheon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks