Sewer Smell

Users who are viewing this thread

FedUp

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question or not, but I'm really curious about something and hope that someone can provide me some guidance. I work in a 4 story office building and the bathrooms located on the first floor smell horribly of sewer that seems to worsen as the day goes on. We've brought this to the attention of the management company on multiple occasions and they don't seem concerned - Other than the horrible stench and embarrasment for our visiting clients, is this something we as a tenant should be concerned about? Is there anything that can be done about it? Can anyone offer any insight or any kind of resolution that I might be able to offer the management company? Thank you!

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
smell

I'd be fed up too.
Go in there again and look. There should be a drain in the floor and it may be dry. When there is no water in it to seal then you are going to get a smell.
Just for the heck of it, you could take a cup or glass and pour water in the drain.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
good call plumber

there should be a small stainless steel door in one of the walls. this is for a trap primer. it adds water to the floor drain . no door? ask the plumbing inspector if he or she would be kind enough to visit. worth a try.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have come across several traps that had plenty of water but stunk to high heavens. The cure was to put a cup of bleach in the trap. No more stink. It is more likely that the trap is dry as Plumber1 stated.

pipeguy

Reaction score
FedUp said:
...the bathrooms located on the first floor smell horribly of sewer that seems to worsen as the day goes on. We've brought this to the attention of the management company on multiple occasions and they don't seem concerned - is this something we as a tenant should be concerned about?

Call the health department and request an inspection. A fine might be the only thing the PM will respond to.

bigrebnc1861

Plumber
Reaction score
I would go with the first option check to see if they have floor drains, if so pour water down it, even if it does have a trap primer I would wash the floor drain down, because the trap primer might be messed up and need replaceing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks