Well Water Black sediment in my Whole house water filter (YUK}

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnnyTuinals

Reaction score
I live in the Poconos Pa. area and my house was built in 1996 (15 years}
I thought it was best to replace my water heater and also my water Filter next to the water heater.
Anyways
The plumber showed me how bad the OLD water filter was,,It was eaten out the filter (Yuk}
Lots of water Presure
up till last year when I filled my jacuzzi it looked liked that the water was pretty cleaned
Last winter the water was very dark and stuff flooting around (again Yuk}
I never replaced the water filter in the 8 years I lived here.
Anyways I replaced the filter a few days ago with a cheap $30 whilpool filter from lowes.
Once installed
after 15 mins of useing you would see BLACK sediment all over the filter but the water looks clean
in a glass and the presure is good.
I cleaned the Dirty black sediment filters a few times the First day and no change with a hose and still black sediment
and the past 3 days I have cleaned and put the filters back in butttt still that same amount of black sediment.

What do you good folks think might be the problem?
To me since the Filter was eaten aways and I have been getting UNfiltered water for a long time,,,I
would think its the well?
What would you all do?....JT

JohnnyTuinals

Reaction score
water exaust ,,,it that the Big Blue tank before the water filter?
Or would it be best just to get someone in to just clean the line towards the filter?
Makes no sense that a water filter would have all that black sediment within 15 - 30 mins.
Would it be best to call a good local plumber or a Well guy,,,affraid many will rip me off lol........JT

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You need to have the water tested to see what is in it. It could be manganese or sand or plenty of other things.

Until one knows what it is, there is no way to know for sure how to fix it.

JohnnyTuinals

Reaction score
Thanks I will get the water tested on monday,,,,but for now I will
just remove the filter and clean the Black sediment with a hose off of the
filter....sediment just washs right off..................JT

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks