Easy Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Hydro

Reaction score
Sink Plumbling.jpg

Hi, new to the forum with a quick question. I am changing from a double sink to a single sink on a bath/shower remodel. The new sink cabinet will be where the 2.5" vent is. The old sink drains are on the other side of studs. I crudely painted in how this all ties together behind the drywall with photoshop----the vent line goes up through the roof. This drain and vent piping tie in under the house to a 3" ABS waste line. My questions are:

1. Can I just tee into the vent line for the new sink drain?

2. If so, should I cap the old sink drain lines when I removed the peatraps, or put a coupling in and keep everything tied in?

3. For the water, can I just plumb over from the adjacent copper piping rather tieing in directly below under the house. I have decent water pressure, and don't think I'd lose all that much adding the elbows in, but input welcome. If I'm running over from the old piping, it would probably be easier if the old drain lines were cut and capped and out of the way.

Thanks,

RICK

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From the way it is plumbed now, it looks like that vent line is the vent for fixtures below it. If so, you cannot use it as a drain. You should be able to cap one of them, and run the drain to the other (probably the one on the right), or run a new one down from that stud bay and vent it into the line coming up from below at 42" or 6" above the flood rim of the sink, whichever is higher.

Hydro

Reaction score
I'll check the size of that vent when I get home. Thanks for the feedback so far. Just to be clear, those pipes all tie into a 3" line just under the floor.....and they all tie in together where I have drawn in the piping just above the drywall cutline. Bear with me on this, but why is it a no go to tee off the vent for the new drain? If it is because if there is a blockage between that new tee and the waste line below, the vent would not work? If that's the reason (which makes sense) why couldn't the other two drain lines for the old sinks serve as vents if I cut out those tees and couple them back together.

Just trying to understand the physics here. Re-routing the old drain on the right could be done of course, but then I'd have several horizontal feet for the water to flow, and I worry it wouldn't be very efficient (or worse). Installing another tee into the 3" line below the house and running a new drain in the new stud bay is not a great prospect if there is another good option, plus now that location is going to get a little more crowded sharing space with the existing vent pipe and the new copper piping. But I'll do it if that the right way to do it.

edit: Further research on this forum revealed that no vent pipe should have horizontal runs at all. But is it that big a deal with what I'm considering?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He is measuring the o.d. of the pipe and using 2" for 1 1/2" pipe and 2.5 for 2". I am having a hard time figuring out HOW you intend to revise the piping. I think you are giving us TOO MUCH information. ALL we need to know is EXACTLY where the new sink drain will be. Put a "dot" on the picture and we can tell you what to do. If it is where the "2.5" pipe is, rotate the tee on the left hand "2 inch" pipe and put an elbow next to the 2.5 pipe.

Last edited:

Hydro

Reaction score
Sorry, the old drains are 1.5", and what is labeled the vent is 2 inch. I sent the original post at work, and guessed wrong.

Centerline on the new sink cabinet, which is 24" wide, lands a couple of inches to the right of the existing vent. That's right about where you can see the copper pipe that elbows through the wall there, which supplies a toilet in a bathroom on the other side of the wall.

Thanks, HJ......but just to ask the original question again....is it a terrible idea to put a tee into the 2 vent line for this new sink drain or not?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks