Sewer Backup

Users who are viewing this thread

ibisboy1

Reaction score
My home was built in the 1940's. During a bad storm last week (7 inches of rain in 3 hours) we had a sewer backup. We got about 3 inches of water in the basement. Flooding in the town was pretty widespread dispute being the highest point in cook county.

Based on my discussion with the village, I have a combined sewer line (sanitary and regular). The home has never had flooding issues in the 10 years I have been here.

Trying to avoid flooding ever again. Just wondering what people would suggest? I have someone coming over later this week who is thinking a check valve. Another is talking about more significant work including the installation of a pit and pump 5-7k for the changes he is suggesting - don't recall them all.

Thanks for any help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All it takes is a little piece of toilet paper stuck and the check valve can leak under pressure from a big backup. I don't have any experience with them, but I'm not sure there is a good solution to this except for the infrastructure of separating the storm and waste sewer lines. The EPA has been pushing for that for a number of years and they started with the larger cities. It may take a long time for it to become universal, but is certainly a good idea for just the reason you state, and to prevent flushing waste through the treatment plant that becomes overwhelmed. Note, it can take awhile to reestablish the 'good' bacteria required to process the stuff once that flush occurs, degrading performance much longer than the short-term flood would imply.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Sewage backflow preventers are quite common in Chicagoland.

A backwater valve and ejector pump is installed in a pit in yard inline with the building sewer on the property.

An access cover is installed over the pit so the system accessed for inspection, service, or repair.

Last edited:

BSA_Bob

DIY Member
Reaction score
I as a sewer cleaner in my dads business a lot of years, don't get caught up in the valve you'er talking about it will be plugged before you get it installed. Thats what i think of a phoney idea[another money grab] like this save your 7 grand and get a good reputable sewer cleaner to come out and cable the roots out of the sanitary sewer you can't clean thru the trap on a ground water. its probably plugged up with roots unless you have women in the house-then it can be sanitary napkins, NEVER EVER let them put those down the toilet.And this crap sending a camera down to look at it first is another stupid game someone thought up to get their hand in your pocket.

You know its plugged!!!! and a good machine with the right cutters will fix up your problem for another 25 years. i know ther of what i speak.Its hard dirty work.
I hope these young sewer men read this i did it for 20 years off and on...i was a licensed journeyman plumber after that. good luck hope this helps SAVE THAT $7000.00 BELIEVE ME.

ps THOSE BACKFLOW preventers won't be around in your lifetime.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Bob, we are talking about combined sewer/stormwater system, where the flow is coming from the city's main back into the home. This is quite common in Chicagoland.

It wouldn't make any difference how clean the pipes are.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks