Freestanding tub faucet connection advise

Users who are viewing this thread

Dirtmover

Reaction score
Freestanding tub faucet connection advice

I'm looking for advice on connecting the water supply to a freestanding tub faucet. The risers terminate in 1/2" NPS (male) under the floor. Standard flex connectors are the obvious option but I'm not sure it's a good idea fully enclosing this type of hose under the floor. A secondary concern is that the restriction introduced by these hoses will impact the fill time. Tell me if I'm unduly concerned but is there a better, more robust, permanent way to transition from 1/2" copper to 1/2" NPS.

bmdc_tub_a1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Flexible connections should not be installed in hidden spaces. You can get chromed nipples which would likely work. Regardless, the unit will need some bracing - either to the wall or the tub - it can't just be sticking up from the fitting in the floor. this often comes with the unit.

Dirtmover

Reaction score
Flexible connections should not be installed in hidden spaces.

Yeah, this was my concern.

You can get chromed nipples which would likely work.

I cannot find anything like this. Do you have any links?

Regardless, the unit will need some bracing - either to the wall or the tub - it can't just be sticking up from the fitting in the floor. this often comes with the unit.

Yeah, I've got some flanges screwed to the floor to mount them in. They are solid.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are MANY ways to connect a freestanding tub faucet, but the RIGHT one depends on the faucet and what you have to connect to AT THE FLOOR, NOT underneath it.

Dirtmover

Reaction score
Google is your friend (most of the time?!)...http://www.plumbingsupply.com/chrome.html

Yeah, this was one of the first hits I got when I searched for chrome nipple. Unfortunately I believe these are all tapered threads. I need straight with a gasket or cone washer to make the seal just like on these braided hoses that I can't use.

There are MANY ways to connect a freestanding tub faucet, but the RIGHT one depends on the faucet and what you have to connect to AT THE FLOOR, NOT underneath it.

The risers are like these ones http://www.tubz.com/images/riobel/tu26.jpg from this page http://www.tubz.com/riobel-tub-faucets.htm. There is about 4" of NPS thread that goes THROUGH;) the floor which means that the supply MUST;) be connected BENEATH;) the floor.

Here is another similar example http://www.cheviotproducts.com/assets/products/413/5100_3965.pdf "2. Lower riser tubes THROUGH the floor
3. BELOW floor, install other Tie Down Nut (leave loose and attach faucet) and then tighten tie down nuts, securing riser tubes to the floor.
". The supply will be finally connected UNDER the floor.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Those manufacturers have a very simplistic concept for connecting their faucets. They assume EVERY installation has access below the floor when the faucet is installed. In fact, in most cases the house is well on the way to completion before the tub is installed, and slab floor installations NEVER have access under the floor.

bmdc_tub_a2.jpg

PresidentsDad

Reaction score
I have an add on to this question. What is the best way to connect the drain for a free standing tub when there is no access to the drainage plumbing from underneath?

NickK

Reaction score
Here's a article which has a ton of information on free standing tub faucets. It includes an installation video from Delta shows how to install a freestanding tub faucet. It's a very good resource if you have access to the floor. Under the video is also a link to the Delta installation instructions. They do have information on installing their freestanding faucets on a concrete slab. Perhaps this will be helpful for someone

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless those 1/2 NPS shanks will accept a 1/2 copper tube solder joint on their insides, I can't think of any code-legal
way to install them in an inaccessible floor space.

Reach4

Reaction score
A freestanding tub next to a wall looks as if it would be hard to clean.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks