Pump cycling vs continuous operation

Users who are viewing this thread

OLDMAN

Reaction score
I have a well and pressure tank. During the operation of my irrigation system, on the first two zones the pump runs continuously at 44 PSI. On the other three zones, the pump cycles on and off (30-50 PSI). Please advise me which is the preferable condition.

You have a fabulous site! Found it on Google.

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Constant operation is preferred

Motor cycling is tough on the equipment

Amperage draw is always higher on starting versus running so pump cycling could use more energy depending on cycle rates.

OLDMAN

Reaction score
Thanx 700, I shall replace the nozzles in the 3 zones which are cycling, with larger orifice nozzles; that should increase my volume and, hopefully, result in continuous operation of my pump.

Last edited:

OLDMAN

Reaction score
I replaced the nozzles in the 3 "problem" zones and, voila, I am now getting the desired continuous pump running full time in all zones. Again, thanx "zl700."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks