Sewer Gas Odor from the Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Avs-Fan

Reaction score
I have an interesting problem that I have not been able to resolve. We have sewer gas that seems to be coming from the water itself from the toilet in our half bath. Whenever a male urinates in the toilet, the splashing effect seems to emit sewer gas. We have no odor at any other time. Anyone have any thoughts on what we should look into?

Further details about the situation:

The half bath and the toilet room in the master bath are side by side and both back up to the garage. There is a bathroom above with the drain line coming down the wall between the half bath and the garage (behind the half bath toilet). The drain line then heads into the slab where it crosses the house and ties into the county sewer on the opposite corner of the home. We have no odors from the other toilets nor from any of the other sinks, showers, etc.

If the wax seal was gone/damaged, I would expect to have sewer gas odor more often than whenever a standing male goes to the bathroom. The toilet is a low flow and does not completely evacuate all the time (especially when the kids use it) Is it possible that the toilet is not flushing completely and leaving waste water in the bowl?

Thanks for any input.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You didn't give any details about the toilet, but I would venture a guess it is a cheap builder grade fixture from HD or similar discount house. The best toilets in the world, Toto, are made in your backyard, might be time to step up. All low flow toilets are not equal, in fact even many of the old famous name brands are garbage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks