Water heater making strange noise

Users who are viewing this thread

lnjohnson0685

Reaction score
2 weeks ago we had a thunderstorm which made me have to press the reset button on my hot water heater. Now it seems like every other day I have to reset it. Well the power went out again yesterday I just now reset it.I turned the breaker off so I wouldn't shock myself... and when I flipped the breaker back on it made a strange noise, it sounds like a current is running through the heater... like you can actually hear the electricity running through the wires. Should I be worried is it safe? The insulation felt alittle wet to me also.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You had to press the reset button every other day, because the water was "super hot" due to one of the elements being shorted out. the sound you hear is probably that element "boiling water".

wh-reset-button.jpg

lnjohnson0685

Reaction score
so what should I do? I mean it sounds like electricity not boiling water. And should I turn down the temperature?

lnjohnson0685

Reaction score
it says STATE water heater-- Censible energy effiency the maintance guy is coming sometime tomorrow but thought i could fix it myself

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks