Using CLR to remove buildup from cast iron drain pipes???

Users who are viewing this thread

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
A few months ago, I had cut out my bathtub trap and replaced it with a tubular plastic one. The old one was cast iron, and about 50% blocked with a rusty-buildup on the bottomside of the pipe. I was wondering if anyone has tried using CLR to fix a slow cast iron drain, thinking that it might be able to remove the rusty buildup inside (house is 55 years old)?

I e-mailed Jelmar and they had this to say:

"CLR, Calcium, Lime and Rust is safe for use in copper plumbing and septic systems and does remove rust so pouring it down your drains could help if the cause of the slow drains was in fact a rust buildup. The effectiveness of CLR comes with contact. I’m not sure if pouring it down your drains would have the 2 minutes of contact that usually takes to remove a buildup."

Thanks.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suppose it might work but in many cases, once the rust goes it leaves a hole behind.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there's that much rust, the integrity of the pipe and fittings is in question...I think it's time for more mechanical work (remove and replace) rather than chemical.

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
This was the pic when I cut out the old pipe. I would imagine the rest of the pipes in the house look similar. Pipe integrity seems OK. Does this look like rust build-up? The gunk has sort-of the same texture as "astronaut ice cream" - dry and crumbly.

DSCF0043.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks