LED Lamp for Can light housings

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
British craftsmanship really is something to behold.

It's like getting the best of American craftsmen and asking the people that taught them to do the job instead.

It really is first class.

Buddy You Know it..

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score

It's like getting the best of American craftsmen and asking the people that taught them to do the job instead.

If we are in a about 1898, that is patently true. The Cornnwall mines and machinery were the space shuttle of their day.

Ballvalve

Reaction score

If we are in about 1898, that is patently true. The Cornnwall mines and machinery were the space shuttle of their day.

And England had the only useable pencil lead [graphite] mine on earth until the germans started mixing the components together in liquid form.

Ballvalve

Reaction score

If we are in about 1898, that is patently true. The Cornnwall mines and machinery were the space shuttle of their day.

And England had the only useable pencil lead [graphite] mine on earth until the germans started mixing the components together in liquid form.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

Oh, like London bridge for instance. that one is in Arizona now as it was crumbling (London bridge is falling down). Our Brooklyn Bridge was built a few years after your London one, but it is still standing proud. Interesting story: http://www.destination360.com/north-america/us/arizona/london-bridge I hope your latest bridge stands up for a while.

JerryR

Reaction score
Bob,

I Bought 8 of these about two months ago to replace some 65W floods in a 6" can. The floods acted like heat lamps. I would not use them in the summer here in South Florida. I measured the 65W flood temps at about 150dF after 10 seconds and the LED's only get to 87dF after 10 minutes.

These LEDs have a pretty close temperature color output to the standard floods.

The LED's stay COOL and dim beautifully. They are actually CREE CR6's http://www.creeledlighting.com/Products/Downlights/6inchdownlights/CR6.aspx and relabeled for Home Depot.

I now use the floods all the time. See picture of my Kitchen with the CREE LEDs

photo1.jpg

Last edited:

ericburns4

Reaction score
I am a bit skeptic about using LED than the usual bulbs. I am not so sure about LED. I have tried it but I don’t like the lighting quality.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am a bit skeptic about using LED than the usual bulbs. I am not so sure about LED. I have tried it but I don’t like the lighting quality.

There are many LED bulbs out there, and not all of them give off the same light as an incandescant bulb that we are used to. The ones I bought give off light at 2700 degrees K, which is what a normal incand bulb at its rated voltage gives off. I too have seen LED's that give off an intense white or blue white light that I do not like, but what I wrote about is *what* I wrote about.:). There are others that DO like the new brilliant light though.:confused:

JerryR

Reaction score

I was also skeptical but I am now a convert.

As Bob said lots depends on the color of the light output. The Cree cr6's and Home Depot retrofits made by Cree have a 2700 deg Kelvin output. Look at my posted picture. This is real life usage and not a manufacture touched up photo.

They have a frosted lens cover and if you did not know you would swear they are incandescent bulbs. The BIG drawback is cost. Here in South Florida they cost $50 each. For me it was worth it as now I actually can turn the lights on full and not feel the radiant heat emitted from the old 65w flood lights.

Jerry

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I was also skeptical but I am now a convert.

As Bob said lots depends on the color of the light output. The Cree cr6's and Home Depot retrofits made by Cree have a 2700 deg Kelvin output. Look at my posted picture. This is real life usage and not a manufacture touched up photo.

They have a frosted lens cover and if you did not know you would swear they are incandescent bulbs. The BIG drawback is cost. Here in South Florida they cost $50 each. For me it was worth it as now I actually can turn the lights on full and not feel the radiant heat emitted from the old 65w flood lights.

Jerry
Hi Jerry, I was in Home Depot yesterday and the price actually went down to either $25.99 or $29.99, I can't remember. Their web site still shows it at 49.99 though.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Dumb dum dah dumb, dum dah dum da da da dumb

mmmmm, so maybe they are no good after all! One failed last night totally. going to return it or both to HD for a refund, but not sure if I'll re-buy them at the lower price of 25.99 vs the 35.99 I paid in July.

So much for LED longevity:mad:nah: :p:cool:

DonL

Reaction score
mmmmm, so maybe they are no good after all! One failed last night totally. going to return it or both to HD for a refund, but not sure if I'll re-buy them at the lower price of 25.99 vs the 35.99 I paid in July.

So much for LED longevity:mad:nah: :p:cool:

When will you learn that Theory only works in a vacuum ? lol

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
When will you learn that Theory only works in a vacuum ? lol
Glad it's only money and not a life support system.

Let's see, somebody here has a sig that says:
"Books tell how it should be, Experience tells how it really is..."

Maybe that's where I've heard that before;)

As Gorest Gump's mother said, "Life is like a box of Choklits........................"

And its 4 months to the day that they (it) failed, not even close to 3 years

DonL

Reaction score
Glad it's only money and not a life support system.

Let's see, somebody here has a sig that says:
"Books tell how it should be, Experience tells how it really is..."

Maybe that's where I've heard that before;)

As Gorest Gump's mother said, "Life is like a box of Choklits........................"

And its 4 months to the day that they (it) failed, not even close to 3 years

Don't sound like a very good track record. You must have left them on to long, Reading all those Rules and Codes.

I think that I would try a different brand.

DonL.gif

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Rules and codes are good to know.

I hope the lights did not go out when you got to NEC-BR549.

I think I only have a couple days to order more Commercial Incandescent bulbs.

Sounds like they are My best bet, for now. You had your LEDs on a dimmer correct ?

Have a great day.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't sound like a very good track record. You must have left them on to long, Reading all those Rules and Codes.

I think that I would try a different brand.

View attachment 14936
:rolleyes:

I don't have a code book, so I wire up everything with knob and tube and zip cord. my ground rods are pointy end up so they can form a nice arc Why am I feeding the troll on this? I, (actually we) all know what you mean Don. I wish I had some more time so I can do some GIF editing too. Need to retire fully again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks