LED Lamp for Can light housings

Users who are viewing this thread

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
A color temp of 3000K-3500K is just about perfect for making food look good. A color temp 2700K makes human skin tones look slightly better directly under the light, but it's more eye fatiguing and red. (All of my fluorescent kitchen lighting is 3000K.)

The CRI=82 for the Sylvania is a bit behind the 90+ for most of Cree's offerings, but still very decent for anything but the most stringent graphic-art specs. (I can't say I notice the difference, not that I'm a color-rendering purist. I notice color temp far more than CRI unless the CRI is in the 60s.)

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So my wife and I are out shopping yesterday, this time at Costco. I happened to see they just got in LED R40 reflector floods that are dimmable. Not that I need them to be, but they are. 10 Bucks each! I bought 2 and replaced the 2 R40 CFLs I had in my Bathroom ceiling. These LEDs have great light output (they claim equiv to 100 Watt incandescant) and they do have good color. I have no light meter or "Kelvin reader", but they look wonderful. I was happy with the CFLs, but being the Winter is upon us, and the CFLs do get a little cool up in the ceiling when off, they take almost a minute to warm up to full brightness. The LEDs are instant on. I did not realize I had the CFL's in this ceiling installed since Feb 2010, so those 2 lasted good for me, even with frequent on/off cycles. Lets see how these new FEIT brand LEDs last. Hey, they were cheap enough. When I get home, I'll pay more attention to their ratings of Lumens and color temp on the package label.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
So my wife and I are out shopping yesterday, this time at Costco. I happened to see they just got in LED R40 reflector floods that are dimmable. Not that I need them to be, but they are. 10 Bucks each! I bought 2 and replaced the 2 R40 CFLs I had in my Bathroom ceiling. These LEDs have great light output (they claim equiv to 100 Watt incandescant) and they do have good color. I have no light meter or "Kelvin reader", but they look wonderful. I was happy with the CFLs, but being the Winter is upon us, and the CFLs do get a little cool up in the ceiling when off, they take almost a minute to warm up to full brightness. The LEDs are instant on. I did not realize I had the CFL's in this ceiling installed since Feb 2010, so those 2 lasted good for me, even with frequent on/off cycles. Lets see how these new FEIT brand LEDs last. Hey, they were cheap enough. When I get home, I'll pay more attention to their ratings of Lumens and color temp on the package label.

They must be getting cheaper, finally.

What kind of guarantee do they have ? Claim Hours ?

I have many CFLs that failed early. I had one that failed then it started working again, Now I don't trust it. They are not worth returning to China for replacement.

Seems like the CFLs could have a soft-start , so they don't POP on start.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
They must be getting cheaper, finally.

What kind of guarantee do they have ? Claim Hours ?

I have many CFLs that failed early. I had one that failed then it started working again, Now I don't trust it. They are not worth returning to China for replacement.

Seems like the CFLs could have a soft-start , so they don't POP on start.
The package says 3 year guarantee Don. They claim it will last 28 years, so I doubt if I will ever find that out. If I live that long, I probably be sitting in a rocking chair in a nursing home waiting for somebody to come by and wipe the drool off my face, and that's if I even realize it needs to be wiped. Where is that pretty little nurse I rang for anyway? Who the hell are you lady? And what do you want? Ehh, speak up!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks