(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LED Lamp for Can light housings

I am a bit skeptic about using LED than the usual bulbs. I am not so sure about LED. I have tried it but I donít like the lighting quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ericburns4 View Post
    I am a bit skeptic about using LED than the usual bulbs. I am not so sure about LED. I have tried it but I donít like the lighting quality.
    There are many LED bulbs out there, and not all of them give off the same light as an incandescant bulb that we are used to. The ones I bought give off light at 2700 degrees K, which is what a normal incand bulb at its rated voltage gives off. I too have seen LED's that give off an intense white or blue white light that I do not like, but what I wrote about is *what* I wrote about.. There are others that DO like the new brilliant light though.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Quote Originally Posted by ericburns4 View Post
    I am a bit skeptic about using LED than the usual bulbs. I am not so sure about LED. I have tried it but I don’t like the lighting quality.
    I was also skeptical but I am now a convert.

As Bob said lots depends on the color of the light output. The Cree cr6's and Home Depot retrofits made by Cree have a 2700 deg Kelvin output. Look at my posted picture. This is real life usage and not a manufacture touched up photo.

They have a frosted lens cover and if you did not know you would swear they are incandescent bulbs. The BIG drawback is cost. Here in South Florida they cost $50 each. For me it was worth it as now I actually can turn the lights on full and not feel the radiant heat emitted from the old 65w flood lights.

Jerry
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by JerryR View Post
    I was also skeptical but I am now a convert.

As Bob said lots depends on the color of the light output. The Cree cr6's and Home Depot retrofits made by Cree have a 2700 deg Kelvin output. Look at my posted picture. This is real life usage and not a manufacture touched up photo.

They have a frosted lens cover and if you did not know you would swear they are incandescent bulbs. The BIG drawback is cost. Here in South Florida they cost $50 each. For me it was worth it as now I actually can turn the lights on full and not feel the radiant heat emitted from the old 65w flood lights.

Jerry
    Hi Jerry, I was in Home Depot yesterday and the price actually went down to either $25.99 or $29.99, I can't remember. Their web site still shows it at 49.99 though.

Default Dumb dum dah dumb, dum dah dum da da da dumb

mmmmm, so maybe they are no good after all! One failed last night totally. going to return it or both to HD for a refund, but not sure if I'll re-buy them at the lower price of 25.99 vs the 35.99 I paid in July.

So much for LED longevitynah:

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    mmmmm, so maybe they are no good after all! One failed last night totally. going to return it or both to HD for a refund, but not sure if I'll re-buy them at the lower price of 25.99 vs the 35.99 I paid in July.

When will you learn that Theory only works in a vacuum ? lol
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    When will you learn that Theory only works in a vacuum ? lol
    Glad it's only money and not a life support system.

Let's see, somebody here has a sig that says:
    "Books tell how it should be, Experience tells how it really is..."

Maybe that's where I've heard that before

As Gorest Gump's mother said, "Life is like a box of Choklits........................"

And its 4 months to the day that they (it) failed, not even close to 3 years

Glad it's only money and not a life support system.

Let's see, somebody here has a sig that says:
    "Books tell how it should be, Experience tells how it really is..."

Maybe that's where I've heard that before

As Gorest Gump's mother said, "Life is like a box of Choklits........................"

And its 4 months to the day that they (it) failed, not even close to 3 years

Don't sound like a very good track record. You must have left them on to long, Reading all those Rules and Codes.

I think that I would try a different brand.

Name:  DonL.gif
Views: 146
Size:  1.8 KB
    Last edited by DonL; 12-28-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Rules and codes are good to know.

I hope the lights did not go out when you got to NEC-BR549.

I think I only have a couple days to order more Commercial Incandescent bulbs.

Sounds like they are My best bet, for now. You had your LEDs on a dimmer correct ?

Have a great day.

Don't sound like a very good track record. You must have left them on to long, Reading all those Rules and Codes.

I think that I would try a different brand.

Name:  DonL.gif
Views: 146
Size:  1.8 KB

I don't have a code book, so I wire up everything with knob and tube and zip cord. my ground rods are pointy end up so they can form a nice arc Why am I feeding the troll on this? I, (actually we) all know what you mean Don. I wish I had some more time so I can do some GIF editing too. Need to retire fully again

I don't have a code book, so I wire up everything with knob and tube and zip cord. my ground rods are pointy end up so they can form a nice arc Why am I feeding the troll on this? I, (actually we) all know what you mean Don. I wish I had some more time so I can do some GIF editing too. Need to retire fully again

Yes, I think that you have been working to much.

Automation techs are in high demand.

Maybe we can move more jobs to the US, And watch the robots do the job.

lucky you I have been seeing people posting in california, florida and new york with those at $25 each. here in michigan they are $39.97/each. online you can find a pack of 4 for 151.88. my local store price matched so i got them for the same price. just ordered 20 of them edison based ones and 3 of the gu24 style. figuring the cost for new trim was at least $200 and these came with trim make me want to look at them closer. By the way, if you have the short cans, like a Halo H27ICAT, you can't use the edison end bulbs (regular lightbulb end) you need to order the GU24 end and they will fit. Here is a Pic of the GU24 End (Require in places like California)

http://www.*********.com/EcoSmart/h_...atalogId=10053 (edits say the big orange store, HD)

I also tried the commercial electric led light for 5 & 6" cans. The color temp of those are at 3000 and they look like a nice light, just a little bright for me. they do fit in the shallow cans. For closet lighting I winded up getting these because they fit into a 4x4 junction box and will flush mount in a closet very nicely and are 3000K color temp and are pretty bright. 6" Disk Light made by Commercial Electric.

http://www.*********.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 (edits say the big orange store, HD)
    Last edited by Chad Schloss; 12-28-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Commercial Electric Disk light. Fits 5&6" and 4x4" Junction box light

GU24 End of the bulb Cree C6

They look nice Chad.

I hope them work longer than the one Bob had burn out.

I can not even imagine changing them out every 4 months, Especially in a high ceiling.

They look nice Chad.

I hope them work longer than the one Bob had burn out.

I can not even imagine changing them out every 4 months, Especially in a high ceiling.
    Man, another R30 CFL bulb in my kitchen ceiling just failed. Worst part of it is that when I tried to unscrew it, as as in the past, the large glass "envelope in the front unscrews from the base of the spiral CFL bulb itself, and then I can't reach in behind it to grab the base of the bulb. I have to pull the eyeball trim down, unclip the bulb socket and feed it out of the eyeball swivel assembly enough to grab the bulb base. That'll be tomorrow.

I don't know how long the bulb's been up there. I write the instaaltion date on each bulb just prior to installing it. Maybe this one made it for one year, I hope. When I take it down, I'm gonna post a picture of it here to see if anyone else is having the problem with the glass seperating like I am.