replacement pump not putting out water

Users who are viewing this thread

ntrap50

Reaction score
My well is 147' deep, and the pump sits at 100'. I utilize a Mascontrol pump controller with the pump. We have had years of trouble free service with this setup. Well supplies all outside water, plus 10 irrigation zones zoned at 18GPM per zone. Pump broke lose from well head and fell to bottom of the well. I was able to retrieve pump, pipe, and wire. The pump was a Red Jacket 1HP, 2 wire pump, installed 1991. Considering the age, I replaced with a Sta Rite of the same specifications. Reinstalled new pump exactly as old. However, only getting approximately 1/3 of previous water, if that. Reading 230V coming in, and 230V going to the pump. Any ideas? The well can run 24 hours, and never have an issue with water.

ntrap50

Reaction score
I have heard that from various people. Fortunately with mine I have had no issues. Just wonder why everything worked fine, and then almost nothing.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think you did have an issue. A leak of less than 1/5 of a GPM will cause a Masscontrol to cycle the pump rapidly. Rapid cycling is probably what caused the pump to unscrew or break off and fall in the well.

Also did you replace the pump with another of the same 18 GPM? Because a 10 GPM or A 25 gpm of the same horsepower will not pump as much water.

ntrap50

Reaction score
Yes, I replaced it with a Sta Rite 20gpm, 1HP, 2 wire. Took information off the old Red Jacket, and supplier matched it up to comparable Sta Rite.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A Masscontrol has a small path for a flow switch. You may have gotten something stuck in there or the flow switch itself could have broken off and closed off the flow path.

ntrap50

Reaction score
Everything has been replaced, from pump to mascontrol. Water flow is still low. Possibly problem with the pump, even though it is new?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Did you do this job yourself? Is there a pressure guage somewhere? Pumps usually either work or they don't. Rare for a new pump to be putting out low flow unless it has come unscrewed again.

ntrap50

Reaction score
Yes, I did do it myself. There is a pressure gauge immediately after the mascontrol. It never gets above 40PSI, and it takes at least 5-10 minutes for it to build up to this. Everything was replaced exactly as it was before.

ntrap50

Reaction score
Do you have a check valve above ground?

There is a check valve in the Mascontrol unit. It is opening. Other than the check valve in the pump itself, I placed an additional check valve 20' above the pump, just as it was previously installed.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I was going to sugest taking out the above ground check valve, but I forgot those things had one built in. Then put a pressure guage before the MC. If the pressure drops immediatly after the pump shuts off, you have a leak down hole. Or if you can take a plug out anywhere before the MC, it will draw a vaccuum when the pump shuts off.

ntrap50

Reaction score
I finally got back this past weekend to try to solve the problem with low water and PSI. I engaged the Macontrol, and let pressure build to 75PSI before opening an irrigation valve. Everything worked great-water volume and PSI(constant 60psi). The next day, tried the same thing, would not work. PSI would drop to 20, low water. The previous day, ran the system for a number of hours, no problem with flow, etc., so I know there is plenty of water available. Any ideas? Stumped.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Check the voltage and amperage going to the motor when the pressure is low. If there is no vlotage or amperage, the Masscontrol is bad. If there is voltage and amperage, you have a restriction (could still be the Masscontrol) or you are out of water. Bypass the Masscontrol and see what happens. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks