Experience with unusual shaped shower stalls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Olivia54984

Reaction score
Has anyone experience creating an unusual-shaped shower stall that would fit a neo angle pan, but have a slanted ceiling. The ceiling would start at about 7' AND 45 degree angle down to about 4' on one side. Obviously, I will be tiling the walls.

Any problems, issues, thoughts?

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
The last one I had to do I had to drop the ceiling even more to be have proper ceiling insulation. Unless you are going to do a fiberglass or acrylic base, have an experienced plumber install a lead pan. I replace pvc membrance pans 5 or 6 times a year in very expensive homes with gorgeous marble and that are only 1-10 years old. Plan out the shower curtain or shower doors well before hand. Try to squeeze in a shower lite.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I read, a PROPERLY installed membrane liner shower pan will outlast a lead one. Plus, if the liner is not installed on a sloped preslope (and a lead one almost never is), any moisture that gets down to the liner, and it will, will NOT drain out. Eventually, and this may take awhile depending on use, this stagnent water will start to smell like a swamp. Course, you could use something like Kerdi from www.schluter.com or make a really interesting shower using the www.wedi.de stuff from Wedi Fundo. They have a really neat free-standing tiled spiral shower (plus some others as well). Check out www.johnbridge.com for tiling info...first class site dedicated to tile.

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
jadnashua, yes the material under a perfect install will outlast a leadpan. The problem is from the words on the page to the product actually getting installed are two totally different things. I have seen where the plastic shower strainers give out with the metal screws, nails way too low into the shower pan, actual holes that were done probably by the sheetrockers, bad corner folds, folds where the membrane turned a different color and split and the list just goes on and on. I have NEVER removed a 5 year old lead pan but have removed about 15 membrane pans that span from 1-12 years old in the last 3 years alone. Way too many in my opinion. Yes I do pitch the subfloor too which I find that almost no one does and I also drop the strainer into the subfloor so the lead is level going from the subfloor to the flange lip. The links you had are pretty cool.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Olivia,

The only advice I can offer is on the ceiling, you may want to water proof it. This is due to the fact it would be somewhat directly in the spray path of water, and therefore it will be wet on a regular basis. You can waterproof it with Redgard, available at Home Depot, or you can use a waterproofing membrane such as Kerdi. Other than the ceiling, it sounds like you have a pretty typical shower installation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks