(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Is this a can of worms?

Question Is this a can of worms?

I've got a house remodel in the works that involves a spruce-up of two bathrooms and a kitchen. Involved are three faucet replacements. Two are straightforward. The bathtub has a faucet unlike anything I've encountered before. The house is 100 years old but I imagine this bathroom is 40-60 years old.

The faucet is mounted directly to (through) the tub. The clearance above the overflow is very tight. I took some measurements and sketched this up. One KEY detail. Due to a closet I have full access to the supply pipes behind the tub. What I'd really like to do is find something that aligns with this hole pattern and run a shower feed up behind the wall to a "regular" showerhead.

Am I going to have any luck finding this type of faucet??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IANALP
    (I Am Not A Licensed Plumber)

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

First, today's codes would not allow that filler valve...the tub spout needs to be above the flood rim of the tub to prevent any possible contamination of the water supply. Then, because it is a shower as well, code requires an anti-scald valve technology. I'd see if I could find or make a waterproof cover plate and mount a new valve, spout, etc. above the rim. It would be an unusual tub that still looked good at 50-60 years, so maybe it's time while remodeling to replace it as well. Code often allows you to repair the existing one, but not replace it. If replaced, it needs to be brought up to current code. Depends on where you live and the inspector.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

That "leg tub" faucet is legal, and should still be available, as long as it has "gooseneck spout" which rises above the rim of the tub.
    http://www.signaturehardware.com/product470
    Last edited by hj; 07-22-2011 at 05:13 PM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Thanks guys. I'm leaning more towards DonL's pic (haha) but after some digging I guess this is a common tap offset for clawfoot tubs. I found this and ordered it. http://www.amresupply.com/product/1195S
    IANALP
    (I Am Not A Licensed Plumber)