Black Pipe for Hydronics?

Users who are viewing this thread

sdoor

Reaction score
Should I be using black pipe to replace the supply and return manifolds connected to my cast-iron boiler. Or galvanized? Currently the setup has black pipe. I'm planning on using brass fittings between the copper and iron.

Also, about how much torque should be applied to tighten the fittings for 1.25" black pipe?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but I think you need dielectric junctions between the iron and copper, brass nowithstanding.

Finnegan

Reaction score
Brass alone is fine. You can really torque black pipe without doing any damage. I do not know what the suggested torque is, but I go pretty heavy and I have never run into a problem. I do not know how else to describe torque.

Last edited:

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
Black Pipe is just fine.
Water in a hot water boiler looses it's aggressiveness (becoming ph neutral) after it has been reheated over and over. Therefore black pipe is fine. Live sprinkler head systems are based on this same principle. No new water = ph neutral water provided nothing new is added or subtracted.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks