Bradford WhiteAnode Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Vaman77

Reaction score
I have a Bradford white water heater that is about 18 years old. I have occasionally drained and am going to again. I thought I'd replace the anode this time. It has never been replaced. Is it worth it to do it now and am I asking for more trouble than it's worth?

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At 18-years, you are beyond the norm for replacement of the whole thing. But, some do last a lot longer. Depends somewhat on luck of the draw and the quality of the water. If you have an impact wrench, you should be able to get the old rod out, a breaker bar may not do it. Then, depending on the available height above it, you may need to buy a segmented replacement rod rather than a solid one. It's a tossup now, as the old rod is probably used up, and any impact may open up additional opportunities for it to then start leaking. Depends on how lucky you feel.

Draining helps by removing any debris and maintaining the heating and volume of hot water you can get from the tank, but probably doesn't do much to extend the useful life from leaking.

Vaman77

Reaction score
Anode Where is it?

Impact wrench for sure and heres your anode place. [as long as the old one had something left on it]

http://fierychill.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=anode

Am looking at this heater and can't figure out where the anode is.Pictures I've seen show it accessible from the top which makes sense. The unit is one of those vented models with a fan on top.So do I have to take that off along with the accompanying wiring? It looks like this thing was made not to replace the anode:(

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your heater is old enough that it should be located on top near the back, but after 18 years, your heater is well past the time when an anode rod would be needed.

Vaman77

Reaction score
anode rod is incorporated into the hot water line nipple going intot he power vented heater...

I suggest you leave it alone,,, if you have gotten 18 years out of a power vent heater its best to leave

sleeping dogs lie,

Thanks will do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks