Americans, global warming, 100 degree heat, aging infrastructure

Users who are viewing this thread

Pipehacker

Reaction score
I like the Ontario landfill which I utilize. Once there you separate the burnable materials from the nonburnables and the landfill burns it for you.

Cookie

Reaction score
You got to watch sometimes where you dig. While digging a garden when we first moved in this house, we dug up asbestos. I don't know how long it was in there. No sense in telling you, the garden was placed somewhere else. So, I started digging in a new spot, this time I dug up a horse shoe. I told my husband and he said that means I will have good luck. I continued digging. I dug up another. I sat it aside the lucky one. Again, I told my husband. This time he didn't say I was lucky. He didn't speak until, I said, " wow, I got another one." This time, he said, " uh, cook, you are diggin up a horse."

I went inside, I was done. Too much in one day to find.

Cookie

Reaction score
When he came in I asked him where he put the garden. He said, " between the hazardous material and the composted horse." Yeah, I told him, I could hardly wait for the first harvest. We offered everyone we knew vegetables and didn't get one taker.

The next season, we started digging on the other side of the yard area. Somehow, those veggies looked much better on the dinner table.

Cookie

Reaction score
It could had been just a mental thing, but I saw a veggie growing in his first garden that even the animals wouldn't eat. It was like a cross between a watermelon, pumpkin and apple. We cut it from its vine and sat it in the middle of the yard looking at it. He asked me what I thought it was, I said, " dangerous" and, wild horses dead or alive won't make me it eat.

I said, ' it is in the dirt' and it is growing weird things. I don't go back there often.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
**My** aging infrastructure is making it more difficult for me to sheetrock this bathroom I am re-doing than it would have 30 years ago:eek:
Got the ceiling and one wall done. The stuff is heavy for me. I tried to hire the only decent sheetrocker around here to do the work, but he is booked for a long time. that's what happens when you're good at your trade. I'll see if I can get him to do the spackling. I bought the new "light" weight sheetrock, so I guess this is the stuff ballvalve was talking aobut that has fiberglass and does not compost well? Never thought that sheetrock would compost and break down except the paper backings.
Always wanted a drywall screwgun, so this project gave me the excuse to buy one. why am I writing all this? Because at the moment I have nothing else to do, which does not happen too often.:p

Cookie

Reaction score
There is story to my house. The neighbor across the road told me this was once a horse farm. Really? I said. She said, it is the oldest here, which explains why I got a well, etc. And, city water. But, my poor kids came home when we first bought this place and said, the kids on the bus was teasing them, saying, we bought a haunted house. Nice, I said. Just what I need more mouths to feed. Wait, they don't eat. Okay, they can stay. I asked my realtor about this, and she said, ' yeah, someone died in there, you want to know which room?" I don't think so...

In time, I found the room. I saw her. Everyone saw her. I did alittle research and she loved horses and she owned the horse farm sold them far and wide. Buried them here. So, far I have dug up about 8 horses in 12 years. I got lots of horseshoes.

I dig a hole to plant a bush, oops, a horse. At night when it is quiet I can sometimes hear the horses whinny. Do you believe this Ian? :)

Cookie

Reaction score
Becareful if you bury the drywall because someday, someone, somewhere will want a garden and dig it up.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Becareful if you bury the drywall because someday, someone, somewhere will want a garden and dig it up.

I put the cuttoffs in the trash; it gets incinerated and the compacted ash goes into the landfill in another state.

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't think it would be dangerous to dig up drywall, but, it might scare a person. They might think it is worse stuff like what I dug up.

That day I was digging and said, " hey, what's this stuff?" My husband came over saying, " oh, boy, leave it to you to find this," I said, " what is this stuff?" He said, " leave it go, I will take care of it, you go make tea..."

You are going to dismiss me? LOL... oh, no my friend, dear husband... now, I need to know.

He told me, and of course, I flipped out. For a second. Only. Then, made tea.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
When people asked us how our garden grew, I told them, " like a malignancy

When people asked us, what we used for fertilizer since our veggies was so enormous, I told them, " hazardous waste material, asbestos."

They thought I was kidding.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Bob get a lift. I did my own kitchen ceiling using a lift.

The bathroom is so small, 7X7 feet, there is no room to maneuver a lift in there The total number of sheets is only 10. For the ceiling, I attached a ledger board to one wall, leaned a sheet on it, lifted the other end to the ceiling on a ladder, and my wife propped it up with a T bar I made up. Its just so tight, no room to move around. Putting in the Tongue and groove plywood subfloor was loads of fun too, as it also was just one sheet long by a little more than 1 1/2 sheets wide. It required good measuring and accurea cuts to get it right and to prepare it for gluing and screwing it down. Its fun anyway

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
My bath is small and was replaced in 05 when the floor fell in. Literally. Don't ask. So, the whole thing was gutted. I paid only 300 for the drywall man to do it, and he did a remarkable job. He wasn't fast, and he smoked like a chimney ( to which the kids was complaining) but, his work for the money was great. The only thing, I wanted the electrical box moved up another inch for code since the sink was higher and he said, he would, he could, but, he didn't. I didn't realize it until, everything was done. Eventually, I will have it moved. Bob, maybe, look into ( depending on how much is already done) getting someone just to hang it. It is easy ( to me not fun) to do the rest. My husband and I in the past did our entire first house. That is how I know how to do it, because he gutted the old kitchen and then, flew overseas, leaving me with firestuds. I figured it out. Did I mention I was then 8 months pregnant? lol. I got the walls up and the floor laid before the baby decided to help.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My bath is small and was replaced in 05 when the floor fell in. Literally. Don't ask. So, the whole thing was gutted. I paid only 300 for the drywall man to do it, and he did a remarkable job. He wasn't fast, and he smoked like a chimney ( to which the kids was complaining) but, his work for the money was great. The only thing, I wanted the electrical box moved up another inch for code since the sink was higher and he said, he would, he could, but, he didn't. I didn't realize it until, everything was done. Eventually, I will have it moved. Bob, maybe, look into ( depending on how much is already done) getting someone just to hang it. It is easy ( to me not fun) to do the rest. My husband and I in the past did our entire first house. That is how I know how to do it, because he gutted the old kitchen and then, flew overseas, leaving me with firestuds. I figured it out. Did I mention I was then 8 months pregnant? lol. I got the walls up and the floor laid before the baby decided to help.

This is the 3rd bathroom complete gut and redo for me, plus I did a total gut and redo of the kitchen it 2008. Did everything including electrical, plumbing and tile work. All came out beautiful and done to code. can't get some handyman to put up sheetrock for me. Its got to be done right to my standards. I'm pretty fussy. the guy I wanted to do it is fantastic at it, but too busy right now. Being older makes it more difficuolt and takes longer. I enjoy looking at it afterwards and take pride in it. I also hauled the stuff From Lowes to the house and carried it in.

Cookie

Reaction score
Now Bob, I carried that 1/2 in. drywall on my head 8 months pregnant, LOL... quit yer complaining, ;)
I already told you, you are a young whipper-snapper!

This is the 3rd bathroom complete gut and redo for me, plus I did a total gut and redo of the kitchen it 2008. Did everything including electrical, plumbing and tile work. All came out beautiful and done to code. can't get some handyman to put up sheetrock for me. Its got to be done right to my standards. I'm pretty fussy. the guy I wanted to do it is fantastic at it, but too busy right now. Being older makes it more difficuolt and takes longer. I enjoy looking at it afterwards and take pride in it. I also hauled the stuff From Lowes to the house and carried it in.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
then, went by a tree and gave birth. :) never whimpered. Carried the child and the drywall 2 miles back to home, in the snow, barefoot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks