(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: 1950s Crane Tub/Shower Problem

Default 1950s Crane Tub/Shower Problem

When using the shower, just as much water comes out of the tub spout as the shower head. The hot and cold knobs also need some attention because when you open the faucet more less water comes out (its a science to get the correct temp) Should I start with the tub spout since that's where you turn on the shower head? Is this where I will find the "diverter" you all are talking about in other posts? Been waiting for my husband "to get around to it" but he doesn't use this shower so I may be waiting a looong time (we've been here for 15 years already).

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deesworld View Post
    Been waiting for my husband "to get around to it" but he doesn't use this shower...
    Maybe you need to invite him to use it.

If the tub spout has a pull up diverter built into it then yes, that would be a good place to start. If the diverter comes out from the wall, then leave the spout alone.

As for the more is less faucets, do you have a brand and model or can you post a pic?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If the diverter to activate the shower is on the tub spout, the best one generally available is one of these http://www.deltafaucet.com/search/re...rter+tub+spout . As you can see, they come in numerous finishes and styles. I installed one at my mother's and it works fine. The only thing is that when you shut the water off, the spring that retracts the pull-down is moderately strong, and it clunks. After the first time, you'll ignore it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014