New Soaker Tub Option/Drain Waste Concerns

Users who are viewing this thread

jkmason

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel. I'm tearing out porcelain tile on a mud bed and have also removed a HUGE dated drop in roman tub, which I was hoping to replace with a smaller free standing soaking tub. The joists are 2x10 spaced 16" apart.

I've got some questions with regard to my tub drain line. As you can see from the photos, the previous tub had all of the plumbing located against the wall. I would like to bring the drain line out approximately 33" to accommodate a center drain free standing soaking tub.

If I reconfigure the current 1 1/2" drain line by cutting it down to the trap, and then put another 90 degree elbow facing out to the center of the room, the top of the drain pipe will be 3/4" from the top of the 2x10 joist (bad). I will lose another 3/4" to in order to account for the 1/4" per foot drop; so the top of the pipe will be right at the top of the joist where it exits to connect to the drain. I am aware that holes should be placed at least 2" away from the top or bottom of the joist so this looks like a no go. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing out on a creative option here; i.e. reinforcing or sistering to strengthen the weakened joist.

Some other options I was considering: 1) Elevate a portion of the bath flooring to accommodate the plumbing, i.e 2x4 on edge. 2) Find a tub where the drain line can be run underneath the tub toward the end and hidden within the tub enclosure 3) Another smaller drop in soaker tub with the plumbing installed at the end just like the previous installation.

Right now my third option appears to be the best one. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Jack

Attachments

• Bath Plumbing 2.jpg
    Bath Plumbing 2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 521
  • Bath Plumbing 1.jpg
    Bath Plumbing 1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 540
  • Bath Plumbing 3.jpg
    Bath Plumbing 3.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 556
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks