Basement rough in - does this look OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to keep this simple and I think the drawing has all the info. The 2" shower vent will continue out the roof and the 1-1/2" vents from the lav and laundry will tie together 5' up, and pick up the 2" above the ceiling. I couldn't find a long turn 90 for the closet bend fitting in the drawing but I will either use one or use two 45s.

Attachments

• basement_plumbing_rough-in.jpg
    basement_plumbing_rough-in.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 60,593
Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would fly under the IPC but many localaties still require a vent for the toilet line

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Interesting

Thanks very much for the input. I guess I'll have to run it by the inspector. I'm located in Ontario and I'm not sure what our code is. I guess it's close enough to not get laughed or yelled at!

That 4x3 fitting is cool - I've never seen one of those before. I can see how well they would work but is that the only time in DWV plumbing you're allowed to in effect reduce the pipe size ??

If I need to vent the closet, I would change the shower vent to 1-1/2 and vent the closet with 2" correct? At that point could I connect the other vents from the group and run to the roof with 2" ?

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
That 4x3 fitting is cool - I've never seen one of those before. I can see how well they would work but is that the only time in DWV plumbing you're allowed to in effect reduce the pipe size ??

It is the only place where the code allows the reduction.

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Jerome - thank you very much - the inspector agrees! Good to go. He mentioned something about 5' being good. I imagine it's that the shower drain/wet vent connects to the 3" horizontal run within 5' of the toilet flange.

Edit - from planning to completion!

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,175
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks