AC blower does not work in AUTO position

Users who are viewing this thread

pmhabo

Reaction score
My AC blower won't kick on when in the AUTO fan position. Works fine when I switch to the "ON" position.

What might this be? How can I fix it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Brand and model of thermostat and the rest of the HVAC equipment may help.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score

DonL

Reaction score
Connected wires to thermostat as per: http://www.radiothermostat.com/filtrete/guides/3M-22-Installation-10may10.pdf -Page 15: 5 Wire HEAT PUMP with Auxiliary Heat
Didn't have "B" wire, did connect "O" wire. Switches set to HP, electric - as per page 8 of manual

I'll have to check what model heat pump/ac system I have later tonight.

Has it always been that way ? Sense you installed the T-Stat ?

It sounds like a simple wiring problem. The make and Model of the Heat Pump would help you get the correct answer.

Enjoy your day.

DonL

pmhabo

Reaction score
Airhandler model is Goodman A24-10
Heat Pump is Goodman CPE18-1AB

old tstat was having problems kicking on, but it would kick on by itself when set on auto sometimes. new tstat doesn't ever kick on when set on auto

Last edited:

pmhabo

Reaction score
Old tstat had:
Y-yellow wire
G-green wire
R-red wire
O-orange wire
W2-white wire
E-tan wire
C-blue wire
002.jpg
new tstat hook ups (tan wire taped up and not used):
001.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Airhandler model is Goodman A24-10
Heat Pump is Goodman CPE18-1AB

old tstat was having problems kicking on, but it would kick on by itself when set on auto sometimes. new tstat doesn't ever kick on when set on auto

When you say it was having problems, was it making the call but the AC compressor was not kicking on sometimes? When it does this do you hear it trying to kick on every few seconds for awhile (clicking sound?) From what I understand that typically is a bad capacitor or a larger capacitor is required--and in the latter case it can mean your compressor is about shot. I had that problem on my old unit which was maxed out on starting capacitor size, it finally burned off a terminal last summer and my AC guy put a new terminal block in. I can't remember if the AC condenser fan was running or not. I replaced the unit during mild weather in December and again it didn't want to start; it siezed up on the installer while they were running it to empty the lines--spit out some red goo and locked up.

Relays or contactors also do wierd stuff like this at times. I've had to get them replaced on old units when I was in rentals.

Old batteries in tstats have also caused some squirreliness, but that's an easy check.

pmhabo

Reaction score
Wiggled green wire where it connects in the air handler, and "auto" fan mode seems to be working now. I read somewhere the blower had a 4 min count down before turning on again. Maybe I was just impatient before when I was testing it?

If I have problems still, I will return.

DonL

Reaction score
Wiggled green wire where it connects in the air handler, and "auto" fan mode seems to be working now. I read somewhere the blower had a 4 min count down before turning on again. Maybe I was just impatient before when I was testing it?

If I have problems still, I will return.

The built in delay, is so the compressor don't try to restart when the head pressure is high, and protects the compressor.

Have a Great day.

DonL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks