Cooling with the Mitsiubishi Mr. Slim

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
When setting the temps on the remote with the Mr. Slim, is the *tstat* temps that is being measure to control the air temps off the remote/location of the remote or is it based on the incoming air circulating ?

Second. I need some advice. In the bedroom, even when set at 76 F, the wifey is finding the unit too cold. I have it set at 76F at the slowest whisper fan speed, it's too cold....
Just short of turning it to dehumidification during the middle of the night, and the unit is always constantly on ---- just throttling, any tips on keeping the temps cool and dry but still maintaining comfortable temperature.

I'm no

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you may be oversized. How about using some kind of deflector to keep the supply from blowing directly on wifey??

Chefwong

Reaction score
Deflector was my last hideous option....
We have the unit with the *eye* and I have it set to blow away already...

It's a small 9K unit....but I think it's just the fact that even at super low....the cool air is constantly getting cooled...

Any ideas on the temps/remote thread. This was more a general question for our other Mr. Slim units

Reaction score
I've not used these units so this might be a poor question: Have you tried a higher temp setting? I run the house at 79 F in summer for our central air. As long as the humidity is in check this works well for us. On marginal cooling days/nights where the AC doesn't run it can get stuffy so I might bump it down a degree or even two for a few hours. 76 F could be somewhat chilly for us.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've yet to try to run it that high but I might....

The thing is that I'm sure I'll be too warm at 79 but it depends...

The thing with the minisplits, is that it is always on. So even though I have it set at a higher temp and the slowest fan cycle there is, the air is still constantly/cycling through the EVAP.

Reaction score
With it always running, what temperature and humidity level are you actually getting in the room? Is the setpoint 76 but actual is well below that?

I use some inexpensive battery operated Accurite digital thermometer/humidity meters for determining what is going on in the various levels of my house.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
With it always running, what temperature and humidity level are you actually getting in the room? Is the setpoint 76 but actual is well below that?

I use some inexpensive battery operated Accurite digital thermometer/humidity meters for determining what is going on in the various levels of my house.

A good Meter would be good to have.

What make/model thermometer/humidity meter do you prefer Runs with bison ?

I wonder if maybe chefwong needs a Mitsiubishi Mrs. Slim. lol

DonL

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've never thought or intended to measure either.....

Then again, the living room unit def. takes awhile to reach the intended temp I set but even at 78/77 D (based on furnace thermostat in the room) and the remote ~setpoint~ set at 74, it's pretty comfortable...

I think the bigger issue is the combination of the fact that air is constantly being chilled by the Evap, and that direction of the airflow across the bed.....

I've thought about either a deflector or turning the bedroom layout over...both which are not win-win ideal situations..

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless the compressor is running, the fan is just circulating the air and shortly after the compressor stops, the coil would have cooled to ambient. Personally, I prefer to have the fan on all the time - it helps prevent stratification, and helps keep dust and pollen down by forcing the air through the filter more often.

the location of the unit and the thermostat can be critical for it to properly sense the room's condition. It is possible that it uses the thermostat in the remote, so you need to carefully read the manual. If the unit is too close to a corner, it could also be affected. You should carefully read the installation manual to see if it is placed properly. If the thermostat is in the unit, and it sits over a heat generating source (say a big TV, lamp, etc.), that can throw it off. If the thermostat is in the remote and that sits on a table in the sun, that could throw it off.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Hmmm....I found another thread and may need to try.

The Mr. Slim has 4 modes. Auto, Cool, Dehumidify and Heat.
I do know Auto does NOT get the room as cool as opposed to me putting the unit in Cool mode when I want cool the room. I've always just used cool or heat.

Another thread suggests that in auto mode, the fan does not circulate constant.

Chefwong

Reaction score
There goes that theory....

It was blowing cool air (ambient at 79) and I had it set to 74 degrees..
I dump the unit to auto mode vs. cool and for whatever crazy reason, I have heat blowing.

Too tired to switch between auto and cool to see how the behaviour is is Auto-cooling......but heat at this temp seems odd on Auto.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A good Meter would be good to have.

What make/model thermometer/humidity meter do you prefer Runs with bison ?

I can't say that I'm a discriminating shopper on these, I'm just using some inexpensive "Acurite" brand ones that I picked up at Wal Mart a few years ago--about $8-10 each if I recall correctly. They have a magnetic clip so I usually have one on the fridge (main level), one upstairs, and one downstairs. (I've loaned two of them to a neighbor whose AC is dying.) They seem to check well against one another and against the thermostat, etc. and if I swap one around it gives the same results as the one it was swapped with. They display present temp & humidity and the high/low of each over the past 24-36 hours.

I picked them up to help balance the rooms in the house at the change of seasons, address stratification, and to help identify problems in specific rooms. Having a "snapshot" of temp and extremes on the various levels at the same time has been very helpful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks