battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Recently got a new Sony digital camera ( simple point/shoot). Wanted to have a spare LiIon battery. I opted for the genuine Sony...$15 on amazon, where 'generics' are also available for a buck 98, literally.

Did I get my money's worth? I do not lose sleep over the 15 bucks one way or another, and ASSUME I bought greater capacity and/ or reliability. Am I snookered?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That is not a bad price at all, for a Sony LiIon.

You did good.

Sony is the best. Japan knows how to build some electronics.

Taiwan battery's are junk, I have tested a bunch of them. Hard to beat a Sony.

The most important thing about Lithium is they Don't like to be dead. A good charger is good to have. Keeping them topped off helps for better longevity.

They normally have a low shelf/self drain rate, but if they do go dead they do not recover very well.
They can also be hazardous to recharge if their voltage gets to low.

DonL

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Appreciate that feedback. I tend to keep my cell phone topped off, because I 'sensed' what you have said. I was reluctant, remembering from NiCad days that they did NOT like to be topped off.

DonL

Reaction score
Some of the NiMH are not much better than the NiCad's.The Sanyo eneloop is about the best low discharge NiMH battery on the market today. Out of all the brands that I have tested, That are #1. Best bang for the buck.

I like the Li-ion batteries but they are still expensive and you have to take precautions when recharging them, or they can explode and catch fire.

The Li-ion batteries have a bunch of power in a small package, but can be very dangerous, because of their density.

How do you like your new Sony camera ?

The Sony is about as good as it gets.

DonL

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The camera is a simple one...and has features we will never use....video, panorama, etc etc. We just wanted one for point and shoot, and it does that well in easy mode.

I still have my Nikon coopix,and am still wound up about that...flimsy battery door broke,- and they accept no responsibility.

Although my long-time favorite film camer...not much use anymore..is a Nikon slr, I have to add Nikon to Kodak as brands I will no longer patronize. ( Kodak ticked me off both with a printer, and a digital camera)

I am not that hard to please, and am not hard on things. I expected better.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Recently got a new Sony digital camera ( simple point/shoot). Wanted to have a spare LiIon battery. I opted for the genuine Sony...$15 on amazon, where 'generics' are also available for a buck 98, literally.

Did I get my money's worth? I do not lose sleep over the 15 bucks one way or another, and ASSUME I bought greater capacity and/ or reliability. Am I snookered?

Definitely worth spending th extra bucks on a genuine Sony battery instead of a fake that might short out and burn you physically :)

DonL

Reaction score
Definitely worth spending th extra bucks on a genuine Sony battery instead of a fake that might short out and burn you physically :)

Not to mention, messing up a good camera and voiding the warranty.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Bowen

Reaction score
Hi buddy, That is not a bad price at all, for a Sony LiIon battery.But I want to share some thing with all of you which is very important,we have some many precious electronic device but we have lost due to some battery problem.I have get an idea which can save your devices,When you are not using electronics devices just remove the battery and placing in the nifty plastic mini-case.& must change the alarms batteries and maintain it after a short time,

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks