AC thermostat ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Rayh78

Reaction score
Have a rental property been working on that now vacant. Janitrol 2 ton heat pump about 6 years old.
Noticed I would temp at 84 when I left at night. Following morning I get there and the actaul temp reads 77. Look like a cheap no name thermstat so replaced with a used Honeywell that worked good before. Had stored in my shed because switch to a programable one in my own home.
This seemed to work fine for days. When there working during the day I turn down to about 77 and then back up when I leave to about 84. Then a few times found the place at 77 the next morning. According to the display and verified with a laser therm I have.
Called my AC guy. He saids it has to be the termostat.
So buy a new honeywell thermostat and install. A few days later its doing the same.
Either something wrong my AC guy does not know about. Or at night when I leave its able to hold the 77 temp without the ac cutting on for 12 hours with the thermstat turned up to 84.
It does seem to turn on and off like it should during the day when working there.
Does this make any sense?
thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't know what overnight temps are like there but it is possible that it is simply holding the temp. You could of course disconnect the thermostat or flip off the breaker when you leave to see. Some smart theormostats will keep stats on usage so installing a smart stat could tell you if it's running at night. You could also leave some tissue paper on the air registers and see if the fan blows them off.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If it is a smart thermostat.

Once you set the temperature you have to hit the "Hold Temp" , or it will revert to "Run Program"

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks