Tub drain hookup

Users who are viewing this thread

MAA

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm doing a major bathroom remodel (down to slab and studs) and I'm installing a new tub. Working almost blindly with my one arm buried in the slab hole beneath the 400 pound tub (and also sliding the beast in and out countless times) I've been able to get the drain very, very closely aligned with the vertical section of the p-trap. Hooking the tub drain to the p-trap is proving to be exceptionally challenging. My question - by CA code, can I use a flexible rubber (with hose clamps) connector in this situation? Alternatively, can I use a glued-on compression fitting to connect to the downward drain pipe or do I need to screw a fitting onto the tee and then glue it to the p-trap? The last one will be a bear!
How long will that rubber fitting last? I NEVER want to work on this again. :)
Thank you for your help!!!

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No code will permit these 2 clamp connectors above ground because they will not provide a stable connection. They are only approved for buried work where the surrounding soil hold the pipes in position. For above ground connections you can use a somewhat similar fitting, call a Banded Coupler. This has a solid metal band around the neoprene sleeve so the fitting will provide the stability required. By the way, these are not rubber sleeves, they are neoprene which will last a very long time. This may not be the preferred way to make the connection either, but I'll let real plumbers respond with alternatives.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I position and install the drain fitting in its proper location, and THEN place the tub over it. The actual connection between the drain trap and the tub drain can be done in several ways, i.e.,glued, No-hub coupling, or Mission coupling, for example.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks